Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Discuss Electric underfloor heating in the Underfloor Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. SteveWannadoGas

SteveWannadoGas Member

Hi folks, an underfloor heating question...

I have a bare concrete floor in the hall way. Can I simply lay flat electric cable heating on this then put floor tiles on top? I`ve been inspired seeing some ornate tiling inside a front door, but want to put cable heating underneath this. Will I lose a lot of heat into the screed? Is there an approved way to do this?

Thanks for any advice!

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Loose a lot of it into the uninsulated screed

3. Chalked

Chalked Plumber GSR

Use 10mm insulation boards, fas end down with powder tile adhesive. Prime the boards, then tile. This gives a food substrate to tile onto and insulates the ufh from heating the sub floor.

• Like Like x 2
  4. SteveWannadoGas

SteveWannadoGas Member

Thankyou gentlemen! Very helpful. Its just the floor is obviously all laid, its the original concrete and I cant start digging it up so I`m just considering my options. I suspected I`d lose a lot into the screed.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  5. Chalked

Chalked Plumber GSR

Did you read my post??
    This all goes on top of your existing floor

• Like Like x 1
  6. SteveWannadoGas

SteveWannadoGas Member

yes ty Chalked I did. Yes I understand. I didnt want to be raising the floor level (with insulation boards) because I dont want steps between the hallway, kitchen, living room. I wanted a level floor across the downstairs, to allow a smooth, neat transition between rooms.

Thanks again.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  7. Uheat – Wojtek

Uheat – Wojtek Sponsor

Hello everyone,

Steve, we do 6mm XPS polystyrene boards which can be installed by using 1-2 mm flexible tile adhesive. Heating mat goes on top.
    I totally understand you don't want to have a little step but if you use the insulation boards we know the UFH will work and will be more efficient and cheaper to run.
    It's a much better soltuon rather than using higher wattage of heating mats or cables on top of concrete.
    If you can't go for insulation boards you can use a Thermal Primer and 200W/m2 mats but it will cost you more to run.
    I've got 6mm insulation board on top of uninsulated concrete with 200W/m2 mat on it and it works perfectly and doesn't cost a lot to run.

Hope that helps.

8. StephenF

StephenF New Member

Consider an overlay wet system - cheaper to run. Height change including insulation 24mm.