Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Electric shower unit problem. in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. peter lanky

peter lanky Member

Around 6 months ago my shower unit broke and after much searching, I found somebody who could fit a new one. I had to supply the unit, which I bought from a supplier, and somebody else fitted it for me.

There is now a problem with the shower so my conundrum is: Who is responsible, supplier or fitter? Even if it turns out to be the supplier, and they agree to replace it when I return the old one, it means I would have to call back the fitter twice to remove and then reinstall, which would no doubt cost more than buying another one.

Is this a common problem, or is there a solution, i.e. in legal context rather than just an opinion?

2. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

What is wrong with it?

3. Darren Jackson

Darren Jackson Plumber GSR

If the unit is faulty and is still in warrenty then it will be replaced or repaired by the manufacturers engineer. Ring the manufactures helpline and they will arrange an engineer to visit free of charge. But if they find it is a fault of the installation they will charge you for the call out and any work carried out. Although I and many other reputable engineers would come out free of charge to a faulty unit they had recently installed and determine if it is indeed a faulty unit and recommend contacting the manufacturer. Or if it is a problem with the installation then they should rectify it at no charge.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. peter lanky

peter lanky Member

The shower is a Creda Florida. As the dial is turned to alter the temperature, nothing happens. The water is too hot. The only way to alter the temperature is to select 'half heat' and then the water is only tepid. The unit worked fine for some time before the problem occurred.

5. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Sounds like a flow issue - those showers work by less flow, more heat.
    You turning to “half heat” is simply running the shower at half power (one only of the 2 elements) and would point to a partial blockage somewhere - inside the shower at filter perhaps, or shower hose linked internally or blocked hand set.
    Still is possible of course that shower has a fault.
    You bought the shower, so it is your responsibility to arrange the manufacturer to come out if the fault is of the shower itself.
    If your plumber did something wrong, he should sort it or pay for any costs
    Ring Creda helpline to get advice from them of what could be wrong

6. peter lanky

peter lanky Member

I've been in touch with the company that owns the Creda name, so will wait to see what happens.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Unscrew the shower hose from the unit (if you feel able to do so) and run the shower at full power to see if the water temperature is still uncontrollable when turning the flow temperature knob

8. Murdoch

Murdoch Active Member

Out of interest how do you think you can hold the fitter responsible?

You bought it ..

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. peter lanky

peter lanky Member

I don't know. That is why I asked the question on this forum rather than guess.

10. peter lanky

peter lanky Member

Tried that. Makes no difference.

11. Murdoch

Murdoch Active Member

If the fitter had supplied the shower, then the onus would be on them to fault find and replace if necessary.

As you bought the product, the onus is on you to cover any costs now IMHO

12. fixitflav

fixitflav Member

In that case it seems unlikely it's the fitter's fault.

13. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!