Search the forum,

Discuss electric shower problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
To take the load without overheating the cable. All showers of 8.5kw and above must be 10mm twin and earth minimum. If the cable run is a long one it should be increased to 12mm.

Also have to take in how the cable is ran, is it ran in a void is the void insulated etc etc etc. That's why I use a sparky, I'll concentrate on the stuff I'm good at and the same for him.

@lpg plg & htg @dancinplumba and anyone else wanting to get it on with each other,

Ladies, please kiss and make up and make my night a nice quiet and easy one please.:yesnod:

All I am saying to you is check you are insured to undertake electrical work however small you think it may be. By the way I have got a life.

Also have to take in how the cable is ran, is it ran in a void is the void insulated etc etc etc. That's why I use a sparky, I'll concentrate on the stuff I'm good at and the same for him.
That's why I have 2 sparks on my installs. They not only know what they're doing, they hand the customer a electrical works safety certificate upon completion.

Yep, cos I rareley have to ask questions on this form just answer them for the likes of you (on my 3rd single malt, so feeling warm inside) :chillpill:
i knew it.....you know everythink...you are the messiah of the plumbing world

That's why I have 2 sparks on my installs. They not only know what they're doing, they hand the customer a electrical works safety certificate upon completion.

I have 2 I use as well, both top lads and know their stuff inside out. One less worry for me.

Right......kisssy, kissy guys, or Judge Dredd's coming out and if he has to leave his cans of Magners to dish out nasties, then he'll not be too chuffed.

Open forums and swallying just don't mix. You have been warned.

I am the Law.

Lets get things into perspective here guys - shower manufacturers replace electric showers all the time, no part P and no proving of the circuit. Its like swapping a toaster.

Peace!
Thought, I would post it again, hope you’ll find this interesting:

From BS 7671:2008 (Electrical Regs - 17th edition to you and me)
114 RELATIONSHIP WITH STATUTORY REGULATIONS
114.1 The Regulations are non-statutory. They may, however, be used in a court of low in evidence to claim compliance with a statutory requirements. And it goes on ……………………….

Basically, as long as you know what you are doing - you can do whatever you want (almost) but when you are end up in the court – the Regs (17th) will be used to make sure everything you’ve done is up to scratch. If you are not sure – get someone in who knows – a competent person.

From the same regs:
134 ERECTION AND INITIOAL VERIFICATION OF ELECTRICAL INSTALLATIONS. 134.1 ERECTION
134.1.1 Good workmanship by competent persons or persons under their supervision and proper materials shall be used in the erection of the electrical installations. Blah, blah, blah….

If you are doing it yourself – make sure you do it right.
Keep safe!

Peace!
Thought, I would post it again, hope you’ll find this interesting:

From BS 7671:2008 (Electrical Regs - 17th edition to you and me)
114 RELATIONSHIP WITH STATUTORY REGULATIONS
114.1 The Regulations are non-statutory. They may, however, be used in a court of low in evidence to claim compliance with a statutory requirements. And it goes on ……………………….

Basically, as long as you know what you are doing - you can do whatever you want (almost) but when you are end up in the court – the Regs (17th) will be used to make sure everything you’ve done is up to scratch. If you are not sure – get someone in who knows – a competent person.

From the same regs:
134 ERECTION AND INITIOAL VERIFICATION OF ELECTRICAL INSTALLATIONS. 134.1 ERECTION
134.1.1 Good workmanship by competent persons or persons under their supervision and proper materials shall be used in the erection of the electrical installations. Blah, blah, blah….

Keep safe!

Like I said - Part P not required. Thank - you AlexGas

To take the load without overheating the cable. All showers of 8.5kw and above must be 10mm twin and earth minimum. If the cable run is a long one it should be increased to 12mm.

Agreed but didn't see that it was 8.5kw.

peace!
Thought, i would post it again, hope you’ll find this interesting:

From bs 7671:2008 (electrical regs - 17th edition to you and me)
114 relationship with statutory regulations
114.1 the regulations are non-statutory. They may, however, be used in a court of low in evidence to claim compliance with a statutory requirements. And it goes on ……………………….

Basically, as long as you know what you are doing - you can do whatever you want (almost) but when you are end up in the court – the regs (17th) will be used to make sure everything you’ve done is up to scratch. If you are not sure – get someone in who knows – a competent person.

From the same regs:
134 erection and initioal verification of electrical installations. 134.1 erection
134.1.1 good workmanship by competent persons or persons under their supervision and proper materials shall be used in the erection of the electrical installations. Blah, blah, blah….

Keep safe!
unless you are being payed for it

Lets get things into perspective here guys - shower manufacturers replace electric showers all the time, no part P and no proving of the circuit. Its like swapping a toaster.
That is their standard, but no way would I or for that matter anyone I know, not fit a new shower to current safety regs.

Back in the day, consumer boxes were installed in garages and in basement cupboards etc and showers were a paltry 7kw and no better than a glorified toaster with water going through them. Consumer boxes in the 80's were smaller as there was much less electrical demand on them. Nowadays we have so many large appliances on standby and showers are far more powerful than their original counterparts. All showers must be fitted with 10mm twin and earth minimum, terminating at the consumer box with a separate RCD for safety.

The thermal cut out can be gone on electric showers. Extremely common with Mira showers. Such an easy job to replace & just ÂŁ11. I wouldn't throw a shower away just because it is a thermal cut out, as it is so easy to test. Live power just goes to the cut out & through it to the elements.
I saw one shower where a large plumbing firm had said the Mira shower needed replaced for ÂŁ350. Just a thermal cut out from local Mira agent sorted it.

....... tttttttttttt.jpg

As stated, by doing it right such that courts aren't involved. Time to shut this down guys. Night Night:8:

All showers must be fitted with 10mm twin and earth minimum, terminating at the consumer box with a separate RCD for safety.

Sorry, not all at all. Power showers only need a 3A fuse and 30mA RCD. 2.5mm cable will be fine.

Last edited:

You have got that one wrong.
It needs to be suitably sized to suit the load and how it is run.
A bit like saying a 24kw boiler needs an 22mm gas pipe. It doesn't necessarily but it does need a properly sized one.

You have got that one wrong.
It needs to be suitably sized to suit the load and how it is run.
A bit like saying a 24kw boiler needs an 22mm gas pipe. It doesn't necessarily but it does need a properly sized one.
Yes that is what I said, it should be sized to suit the load and run, and increased if the run is a long one. But 10mm is now the minimum and any M.I I've read recently states this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to electric shower problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock