Search the forum,

Discuss electric boilers ! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all and a happy new year to you all, Anyone out there experienced in electric boilers and thermal stores ?

I am currently undertaking an off grid job with underfloor heating and two family bathrooms and one ensuite shower, the plan is to use a thermal store for both underfloor and DHW there seems to be lots of approaches to this and I have spoken to kingspan and grant regarding the use of there stores, with conflicting advice, the use of a electric boiler will probably be needed ? underfloor heat load is 4.7 KW hot water to two bathtubs and 3 mixer showers, 3 hand basins and hot to kitchen sink? Any advice on this type of system would be appreciated Thanks in advance.

Thermal store and electric, ouch ouch ouch.

Why not unvented?

Thermal store and electric, ouch ouch ouch.

Why not unvented?

Hi Simon what's your reservations on using an electric boiler on thermal store ? and why would you suggest unvented as an alternative, not criticising just asking ?

Running costs.

Unvented cylinder stores water at 60 to 65. Thermal store at 80 plus. Thermal store for multiple heat sources.

Running costs.

Unvented cylinder stores water at 60 to 65. Thermal store at 80 plus. Thermal store for multiple heat sources.

Sorry Simon I should have explained the electrical side of this install is going to 6kw solar Pv in field next to the house, May take the ouch out of it a bit!! what would you recommend if you have an opinion on electric boilers to heat a thermal store ??

Depending on size of thermal store and immersion heaters could take a while to heat up. What about airsource heat pump to help? Depends on your budget I suppose.

Skipup,

Just reading your post, I have some concerns about electric heating and off gird.

Has someone properly designed the Solar PV set up? 6kW of PV will only produce an average of 5.8kWh a day in Dec and Jan, and 23kWh in the peak of Jun and Jul.

Its a tricky business linking electric immersion heaters to an off grid system as you need to be sure that the batteries are full before heating the water. We have installed several of these systems and it is a real joy to do if you get it right.

I assume they will have a wood burner for winter heat and you are just looking to heat water outside of the winter heating season?

Skipup,

Just reading your post, I have some concerns about electric heating and off gird.

Has someone properly designed the Solar PV set up? 6kW of PV will only produce an average of 5.8kWh a day in Dec and Jan, and 23kWh in the peak of Jun and Jul.

Its a tricky business linking electric immersion heaters to an off grid system as you need to be sure that the batteries are full before heating the water. We have installed several of these systems and it is a real joy to do if you get it right.

I assume they will have a wood burner for winter heat and you are just looking to heat water outside of the winter heating season?

Mitsubishi Ecodan air source heat pump with a solar cylinder you could use pv to power a I boost to heat your water or battery back up .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to electric boilers ! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

How a thermal store boiler works! I’ve got an old thermal store boiler and I’m trying to work out how it works. From what I understand the boiler keeps hot water at a steady temperature in the boiler whilst cold water enters into a coil which is held inside the hot water and this heats the cold...
Replies
Views
Background 24 apartments are equipped with thermal stores of (100 to 150 litres) with immersion heater capability. Individual demand of each apartment for domestic hot water varies greatly in timing and volume. Thus the oil boiler is required to work for long periods which is uneconomical...
Replies
Views
Hello, and thanks for taking the time to read. I'm trying to work out if the idea I have is practical? The water pressure in my newly renovated house (4 bathrooms is tragic). Current set up is: A hot/cold mixer in the main ensuite which is ok as long as you don't run anything else. One electric...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have just installed a vented McDonald 250L thermal store, it is for multi fuel but currently just connected to a standard oil boiler in the garage which is fully pumped to the TS, the system has two pumps both basic 3speed Grunfoss, one on the boiler return and the other on the CH flow...
Replies
Views
Can anyone help, please? I'm looking for a heating system circulation pump for a domestic install, with 3 speeds, where the speed can be toggled electrically as well as via a push switch on the pump body. I'm using this pump with a wood boiler stove, where I want to run the pump at its slowest...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock