Search the forum,

Discuss Electric boilers, running costs and replacement options? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I am looking at buying a property with a HeatraeSadia AMPTEC system fitted.
It is a brand new system coupled to a thermaq UNICYL cylinder
We are a bit worried about the cost of running this system, and may be looking to remove it and fit a gas boiler instead.
Unfortunately it is fitted in an upstairs cupboard with only a possibility of an upright flue through the roof.
The building is a two bedroom property of appx 980 sq,ft with two showers and 8 radiators.
20180320_132536.jpg 20180320_132525.jpg 20180320_132511.jpg 20180320_132518.jpg
20180320_132536.jpg
20180320_132525.jpg
20180320_132511.jpg
20180320_132518.jpg

Hi there and welcome along.

If you have got two showers that means to me you really need a system boiler combined with hot water cylinder which is similar to the one you have. It seems, you’ve got the right pressure for the system. I’d say the system boiler and cylinder combined as a combi boiler is designed to serve 1 shower only it will struggle when having 2 showers in the same time.

Oh sorry forgot to add the running cost aren’t as bad with the heatre... but would work more efficient if you had a gas boiler.

Question is are you really looking into changing the system because you said it’s a new installation.
If you want to have something good and you are into saving money then have a look ino ATag boilers IC Serie .. combined with weather compensation sensor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those flowboilers are excellent , but yes they are expensive to run , I look after a place with around 20 installed . On average they roughly pay between around 160 to 230 per month .
They are very big apartments , but benefit from using each others heat loss .

People don't normally install electric boilers these days unless there is a compelling reason. You may find that the gas supply is undersized and will cost £££ to upgrade. Or the space that would be taken by a boiler is needed for something else. Or a bottled supply is needed and there is nowhere safe to keep the cylinders, etc.

BTW I don't like the look of the plastic pipe below the PRV tundish. Make sure whoever installed the system had a 'G3 unvented' certification and it's been done in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions. (I would want what appears to be standard white plastic waste pipe and fittings replaced with 22mm copper to the outside myself.)

Are you on mains gas or would it be lpg?
Hi there is mains in the road outside. The system is brand new and as nobody has moved in yet has never been used.
I would like to replace it with a gas system boiler that can vent upwards through the roof.

Hi there and welcome along.

If you have got two showers that means to me you really need a system boiler combined with hot water cylinder which is similar to the one you have. It seems, you’ve got the right pressure for the system. I’d say the system boiler and cylinder combined as a combi boiler is designed to serve 1 shower only it will struggle when having 2 showers in the same time.

Oh sorry forgot to add the running cost aren’t as bad with the heatre... but would work more efficient if you had a gas boiler.

Question is are you really looking into changing the system because you said it’s a new installation.
If you want to have something good and you are into saving money then have a look ino ATag boilers IC Serie .. combined with weather compensation sensor.

Hello thanks for you reply,and your comment on the ATag, they look good, but can they be mounted in the centre of the house venting up through the roof, or do they need an external wall.
I would like to get rid of the huge tank as well and fit a smaller one so it would give us an airing cupboard. We may even get away with a combi, as shower room 2 is guest room so will be used infrequently.

You need weigh up the cost of mains gas connection versus running cost. Cost of maintenance tends to be lower with these boilers as they do not require the amount of care a gas boiler does. With good insulation and sensible use of controls such as TRV’s and programmers it may be ok for now considering it’s new.

Hello thanks for you reply,and your comment on the ATag, they look good, but can they be mounted in the centre of the house venting up through the roof, or do they need an external wall.
I would like to get rid of the huge tank as well and fit a smaller one so it would give us an airing cupboard. We may even get away with a combi, as shower room 2 is guest room so will be used infrequently.
If you got a loft and you are not considering a loft conversion you could install the unvented cylinder in the loft as well as the boiler.
I feel you consider to do a loft conversion you could install a horizontal cylinder in the niche.

Obviously, the installation and the materials will cost a little bit. If you are interested you should get some qualified and registered gas safe engineers out to quote. Perhaps if you are interested in Atag you could get ask for Atag approved installers.

Basically, you could use the cupboard in full and move all the plumbing upstairs. Perhaps you require a new gas pipe run but we are not in the position to judge better off getting someone out.

If i were you and lived there for longer I’d change the system over but that’s a personal thing.

Is it a set of flats / been converted?

Its an old Pub and the tank etc is up on the first floor. I can get gas to it, but with the huge tank in the cupboard it does not leave a lot of room for the boiler.

They might not allow gas need to speak to the building management/ company etc

As alot of the conversion are saying no gas same with most flats no gas in each flat

If you got a loft and you are not considering a loft conversion you could install the unvented cylinder in the loft as well as the boiler.
I feel you consider to do a loft conversion you could install a horizontal cylinder in the niche.

Obviously, the installation and the materials will cost a little bit. If you are interested you should get some qualified and registered gas safe engineers out to quote. Perhaps if you are interested in Atag you could get ask for Atag approved installers.

Basically, you could use the cupboard in full and move all the plumbing upstairs. Perhaps you require a new gas pipe run but we are not in the position to judge better off getting someone out.

If i were you and lived there for longer I’d change the system over but that’s a personal thing.

Hi thanks for your welcome advice, the property has a loft space and this may be useable. I have not yet been into the loft but it looks like we have space for the boiler or tank or both up there. It would be nice if I could get both in the living space so as to get the residual heat from them into the living areas and not just heat the loft.
Thanks for all the good posts from everybody, If our offer is accepted we will be back looking for advice and a heating engineer. Many thanks

They might not allow gas need to speak to the building management/ company etc

As alot of the conversion are saying no gas same with most flats no gas in each flat
Hi its an ex pub that has been converted into two semis, I take your point on the gas installation, it is a grade 2 listed building but not converted into conventional flats.

Hi its an ex pub that has been converted into two semis, I take your point on the gas installation, it is a grade 2 listed building but not converted into conventional flats.

Still need to make sure it's ok esp as it's graded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Electric boilers, running costs and replacement options? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All This is following on from thread I made a few days ago but can't seem to find I'm in a bit of a bind with my CH design where I want to sort all of my rads and do some other bits including fitting a filter but I'm stumped on how to drain down due to how the system is put together...
Replies
Views
Hello, my Mothers heating failed in the recent UK cold snap. I found the pump was stuck. I have a question about pump orientation. The existing pump flows downwards. The manual for the proposed replacement recommends that it should pump upwards. This would involve rearranging the flow &...
Replies
Views
I am looking for some basic advice please My house is on two floors, approx 240m2 and a spacious loft with good headroom and access. Glow Worm 30HXi boiler burning LPG housed in a ground floor attached storage room running 16 radiators including 6 doubles and a standard low output shower on the...
Replies
Views
We are building a new 2 bed bungalow and looking at Heating / Hot water options. Although Gas is available we are keen to not have it connected but we will be having a large solar system installed as we have a long South facing roof. Our house that we are moving from has Air con installed in...
Replies
Views
I have a 3 port valve Y plan system, with a hot water tank in airing cupboard and a cold water feeder tank in loft. I want to replace the old 25+ year old boiler. Should I just replace with a like for like condensing boiler or a combi. I understand to fit a combi involves a lot more work (more...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock