1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Dismiss Notice

Couple of important things to note. 1. We use Cookies, deal with it. Every website does. 2. Nobody but a currently-registered Gas Engineer should be touching gas or gas appliances. Don't mess with gas at all. 

Discuss ELECTRIC boiler needed (- Potterton Gold Electric 12V?) - nr Ashford,Kent in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. NEEDABOILER

NEEDABOILER Guest

Has anyone fitted one of these - is it simple? (It is to replace an old oil boiler in a small bungalow)
    We have no gas and cant afford a new oil boiler, so this seems the ideal solution, although we realise the running costs are higher.
    - is the Potterton 12KW one good?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2013
  2. Roger Welton

Roger Welton Plumber GSR

Haven't fitted one but removed one for a cust, they were paying £600 a quarter on electric for a 3 bed cottage with a economy 10 tariff.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ray Stafford

Ray Stafford Well-Known Member

The potterton will probably be a re-boxed version of the Heatrae Sadia Amptec, since they are part of the same group. On that basis, it will be as good as any other - Heatrae are a premium brand in electric water heating.

Running costs really will be hideous though.

• Like Like x 2
  4. SimonG

SimonG Plumber

[DLMURL]http://www.elnur.es/download/manuales/CM%20y%20CMX%20manual.pdf[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2017
  5. NEEDABOILER

NEEDABOILER Guest

Thanks for your advice - We do have Economy7 and only 4 radiators, all with thermostatic valves, so still think it might be worth a try?

6. Ermintrude

Ermintrude Plumber GSR

Can't you get oil boiler fixed?

7. Roger Welton

Roger Welton Plumber GSR

The cost difference between a electric boiler and a cheap oil one cant be that great (a quick Google indicates its only a few hundred quid) I'd have though the cost savings of keeping oil would be enough to make it worth while. Or as ermintrude says unless the jacket has gone on your old boiler it almost certainly can be economically repaired.

8. NEEDABOILER

NEEDABOILER Guest

- I thought oil boilers were about £1800. I'll have another look thanks - sounds like it's going to be too costly to run on electric only.

9. SimonG

SimonG Plumber

If the jackets ok a good engineer can get it back to life. Very worst case I would expect a new or recon burner into it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Centralheatking

Centralheatking Guest

This is just what the forum is all about - an honest question - info given based
    on experience and I learned somethings as well - Thank all

centralheatking