Search the forum,

Discuss Effective Tools to save time in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have recently moved from an hourly rate to price work on new build sites. I was wondering if there are any experienced plumbers who have been on price work that can recommend some handy tools or methods to get things done a bit quicker without compromising the quality. Simple things I have found is using a tool belt in first fix roughings etc. Also I currently have to hand pump pressure test is there a quicker way. Cheers

Doing jobs at prices specified by others makes no allowances for quality work.

You can do quality work, but the only thing you will be compromising will be the amount of money you will make for the hours worked.
And you will be taking responsibility for the work done.

Think you've picked me up wrong, it's not a case of botched jobs to gain an extra £50. More an effective way to get the job done

First fix before sparkys get in.
Do as much as possible on first fix.

Have enough batteries for your power tools, you don't want to be waiting for a battery to charge/ keep them charged.

Sort your tool box out, no unnecessary items, keep it light, and lets face it you only need a handful of tools on new build anyway

http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/erbauer-stubby-auger-bit-set-6-pieces/24505?_requestid=255411

Ive just blown my £20 plumbfix voucher on these, no more angled holes though joists for me...

http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/erbauer-stubby-auger-bit-set-6-pieces/24505?_requestid=255411

Ive just blown my £20 plumbfix voucher on these, no more angled holes though joists for me...

I like the irwin triple fluted auger bits.

A decent set of knee pads will save you from arthritic knees later on, loads of time saved.

6b3da523d9ba1cd584f41b5e5ee257b7.jpg

And an angle drill too. Its saved me aggro a few times

20160804_152549.jpg

This is the best thing I ever bought, a cheapo Titan ten quid set with this little beauty as a ratchet handle. Get right into toIilet cisterns as well.

Don't judge me on that pipework, its not mine. I was called in to rectify a balls up.

The most effective tool to save you time when on pricework is your head! Plan in advance as much as possible to make sure you always have the right materials on the right day and have a clear idea of what you are trying to achieve each day before you turn up on site.

cordless mitre saw for the 40-80 noggins per house
cordless nail gun for said noggins
cordless angle drill
timber stick for marking your pipe runs and x3 spacings

2 hammers to save time looking for the first one you have left in the ceiling

chalk line to mark your drill zones and pipe runs

red spray paint to mark up your dabs for fixing points (saves having to keep talking to plasters and chippys wasting time)

Quickest way to pressure test is to connect up to mains supply if connected, will fill and get you to 3bar before you need the pump. Use a NRV.

One of the biggest things is to have good quality drill bits and plenty of them, hit a nail, then bin the bit straight away.

Cut and chamfere svp with a grinder.

buy good quality powertools, have atleast 6-8 batterys 12 would be better. 4 chargers at home (or multi charger) charge batts as you walk into the door so if you fall asleep you will always have 4 batts ready to go next day. yes i fall asleep alot LOL.

Three best tools in my van apart from my self are,
1. An Aquavac, I've been on jobs where both Noah and Moses turned up to laugh at me, but my Aquavac sent both of em packing!
2. Erbauer multi tool, sounds like a ladies toy on speed, but it'll cut through anything like hot snot, especially sparkies cables when they use the holes you've drilled for Yer pipes
3. Loveslave, getting harder to find nowadays, especially a decent one that can take a proper thrashing! and is still of any use after 10:30 in the mornin!

View attachment 26962

This is the best thing I ever bought, a cheapo Titan ten quid set with this little beauty as a ratchet handle. Get right into toIilet cisterns as well.

Looks good, iv just bought one... I always had to put a small bit in a mini spanner & fiddle with stuff like that lol

Lazer level, small impact driver multi tool and socket former

Lazer level, small impact driver multi tool and socket former

I bought one of the monument pipe formers to get me out of a bind, is there a knack because I tried it a couple of times and I think it would've been quicker to run out a buy some fittings?

Yeah I did heat it to red hot and quench to anneal it but I still had to wack it with a hammer to get it to form, the sliding hammer on the former was completely insufficient. Maybe a bit of soap on the former would help too?

Small moves keep rotating. Never had a problem.
It's not every day in use it. But when Ya 30 odd mile away from a supplier it's a God send.

Ps mine is the expanding type. Not the slide hammer type

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Effective Tools to save time in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock