Search the forum,

Discuss ECOtech 418 problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Tyrrell

Gas Engineer
I got called to deal with a breakdown on this boiler and I'm stumped.
It fires on the hot water no problem but for the heating it doesn't do a thing.
I did note that the Salus wireless room stat was faulty (No signal to the receiver) so I swapped it out with a DT92E but it still doesn't work on the heating.
I called Vaillant and they reckon it's the 3 way valve at fault but I'm not sure about that and didn't have time to check it so I'm going back on Monday but wondered if any of you had a quick and easy method of testing the valve :)

I'd say control issue mate. Three port Likely

Last edited:
The 418 model is a heat only boiler so its dictated by controls making it come on/off if you got hot water then no boiler issue, if 2port check voltage on brown wire with room stat turned on and if 3port check voltage on white wire and also grey wire.
Hope this helps

If it's a 2 port, should be 240v on brown wire with all controls calling.
If it's a 3 port with CH only on clock and room stat up - there should be 240v on white and grey

If there is the voltages above and the motor moves but nothing happens then switch has failed and new actuator req'd. If motor doesn't move with above voltages then you could try a new syncron motor.

Thanks for the help guys, just confirms what I thought really. I'd already checked voltages on the white & grey wires (3way valve) and it looks like it's the actuator gone but what I really wanted to know is of there was a simple tell tale that would help to diagnose the problem without having to check voltages.
They're simple enough I suppose but I would like to see a little LED on the valve to show correct operation; White LED for correct voltage to white wire, Blue LED (Grey is difficult to see in a cylinder cupboard) for the grey wire and a green LED for correct operation of the valve, or they could have a Green LED for the actuator, and a Blue one for the motor.
Probably a bit too much to expect eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to ECOtech 418 problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi,

Our heating stopped working today. We've got a Veissmann boiler that's under a year old, and an older Megaflow cylinder, and two diverter valves (all about 10 years old). We also use a Hive thermostat.

When I boost the hot water with Hive, the receiver near the boiler shows it's...
Replies
Views
Hi! Our main stopcock is weeping. I phoned the water company, first-person thought it was their problem as it was on the 'outside' of the water meter. Then another person called me to schedule a visit and they told me that its not their problem as both the water meter and the leaky stopcock are...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm a (somewhat, I hope...) competent DIYer and just want to get some advice if my suspicion on a problem we're having is correct. We had a Megaflo and boiler professionally installed as part of a renovation a couple of years ago. I will add all of the pipework was done by this...
Replies
Views
I am generally a decent handyman, can usually make 2+2=4 and take care of most things to avoid troubling experts with just the basics, but know also not to bumble around blindly beyond that. We moved house last week and with the glorious hot weather we weren't bothered about the heating, more...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, we've been having a problem with our motorised valves. Every time the heating turns off there a number of loud bangs as if the water is hitting the valve too quickly which is then sending a shockwave through the pipes. Would this be faulty valves in that they are closing too quickly or is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock