Search the forum,

Discuss Ecomomy 7 Water Heater Problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

brooky

Hello All,

I moved into a flat with an economy seven heating and water heaters. The water heater was installed in 2005 so it is quite new but I have had problems.

Firstly I had to replace both elements. I didn't use plumbers tape on the thread and I have noticed signs of minor leaks. Should I drain it and do this? I read that they easily kink so I was scared of this when tightening them.

The water heater is in a cupboard in the bedroom, over the last week of so it has started driving me nuts keeping me awake at night sploshing water for a second about every five seconds. If I get up and turn the night supply off to the tanks it soon stops. Does any one know what may be causing it. Incidentally I never have the day top up element turned on.

So:
1. Should I have used plumbers tape on the thread of the heater elements when I replaced them?
2. What may be causing the loud annoying sploshing sound that keeps me awake?
3. Is it possible to descale the water heater? e.g. by poring a few packets of Oust in?

Any help much appreciated. The ball cock was sticking a few weeks back and I kept having no water at all. I wiggled it about which fixed it. I've done that again but it doesn't seem to have fixed the repetitive sploshing.

1. no tape on thread. do that and you can never get them out.
check cylinder is clean on the suface where the gasket sits.
i useally use a bit of silicone grease/vaseline on gasket.
some will use a clear silicone lightly smeared on gasket.

2. if its a combination cylinder you have maybe trapped air in cylinder where it has been
drained (nothing to worry about)
check what the stat is set to should be abot 60, 65 degrees it maybe getting to hot.

3. no you don't descaler a cylinder like that. people have to bath in that water. you can't
use any chemicals on a cylinder. if you do de-scale a cylinder it must be descaled,
flushed through then refilled so all chemicals are removed.

Thanks you have been incredibly helpful. I will drain it and see how it goes after that.

Next problem finding a hose....

Cheers! :)

Hmm it seems to be getting worse. Not had a change to drain it yet. There is a distinctive rattle now like a bit of limescale or something is trapped in a pipe.

does this only happen when the immersion is on or all the time ?

It only happens when the night time element is on after it has been on for some time. I guess when it reaches a certain heat to move water about?

I accidentally left it on last night and it woke me up at 3:30. I've tried draining it all out twice which hasn't helped.

About 45 degrees I think. Not high.

I've thought about replacing it with some kind of on damand water heater. We only use it for washing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ecomomy 7 Water Heater Problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock