Search the forum,

Discuss Dunsley - thermal store - Dunsley - thermal store.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Platemaker

Newby here...
We are looking to replace an old Baxi gas back boiler - which is absolutely reliable but probably quite inefficient - with a multi-fuel boiler stove and a conventional condensing system boiler and possibly, in the next year or two, solar thermal. By this time next week we should have 3.3Kw solar p.v. installed also.
I have been reading everything I can on the subject and have a pretty good understanding. I had more or less decided that the thermal store was the answer. However, after talking for quite a long time on site with a very experienced plumber/engineer yesterday, who initially agreed the TS was the way to go (he has fitted a few but mostly small commercial properties), we wondered whether a Dunsley neutraliser might be a better bet. (I had originally thought this was the answer until I discovered thermal stores!) The reasoning was that keeping 300 litres of water at 80 deg. takes some doing.
The house is occupied all day every day, more or less. It is a three bed bungalow with a part completed loft conversion (pending a decision on the heating!). 9 radiators and 1 bathroom. We have mains gas but the intention is to reduce the gas bills. We are also considering a 1.5Kw immersion for water heating when the sun is shining.
One last thought - if we did go down the Dunsley route, could the vented tank include a solar coil?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Many thanks.

Yes a vented cylinder can have solar just needs an extra solar coil
If you don't go for a thermal store you won't have mains pressure hot water will need tank in roof space for domestic water
Never used a dunsley link up but used lots of thermal stores and having seen a few installed I won't be using them but that's just my opinion

Never used a dunsley link up but used lots of thermal stores and having seen a few installed I won't be using them but that's just my opinion

Sorry - won't be using a thermal store or a Dunsley neutralizer??

Thanks

Dunsley
Sorry didn't make sense ment dunsley neutraliser didn't like the look of them

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunsley neutralisers or " Baker neutralisers " as they are also known by, are a bit of a nightmare ( the round type fitted below cylinder) to pipe up, especially if hot press is too tight. So not an easy job.

Thank you both. But looking at the big picture - how efficient are thermal stores really? We came round to thinking that there's a BIG store or water to keep hot and once the rads start drawing heat out, that's a lot of energy needed to replace that heat. I suppose what I really want to hear is from someone who has fitted - or who has their own - TS in a similar situation to ours and it works very well - which so far I have not. It's one of those things - in theory a great idea, but is reality the same?
I know the DB neutraliser is regarded as a nightmare by most professionals - and we had written it off as a bad idea in favour of a TS - yet I have a friend with one installed and it works perfectly.

Direct thermal stores will heat up rapidly by a gas or oil boiler as it is the same water so no heat transfer. Boiler will tend to not cycle when heating store. That said, you still need to keep entire store hot. I am vary of corrosion with thermal stores. Dunsley neutralisers are good if done right.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Dunsley - thermal store - Dunsley - thermal store.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock