Search the forum,

Discuss Drayton RF601 wiring in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks
I am in the process of replacing a standard 3wire room thermostat with a Drayton RF601 device.
My question relates to the wiring of this device.
The old room thermostat had N, L & Switched Live return.
The new device uses N, Permanent L, Common and Switched Live return.

Obviously the N, Common (switched live from timer) and Switched Live Return are the same, however, it is the Permanent Live that is throwing me.
The room thermostat is wired using 4 core ( Red, Blue, Yellow and Earth (not used). Can I use this for the new RF601, and if so, what do I use the Earth for. I am, understandably, reluctant to use it as the Permanent Live as I am sure that contravenes IEE regs?
I could use 5 core, but the colours are Black/Blue/Brown/Green Yellow/ Grey. If this is the correct choice, can you confirm which colours should be used as replacements.
I assume Blue is Neutral, Brown is Permanant Live, GreenYellow is Earth (not used), but which should be the Common (Live from timer) and which should be the switched Live return- Black or Grey? I am thinking Black from timer and Grey return???

There's no "standard" way of wiring; so your choice is as good as anyone else's. It would be sensible to put some brown sleeving on the grey and black wire to show they are "live".

The earth wire should be made safe, e.g connected to a terminal block at each end. (Some double insulated devices have an earth terminal, so you can "park" one end there.)

Wireless room stat with receiver or wired

I only ask because the specs I've found for the hard wired one doesn't need / not listed a permanent live ?

boiler and cylinder, but that shouldnt make any difference, should it? I am replacing an existing hard wired roomstat.

boiler and cylinder, but that shouldnt make any difference, should it? I am replacing an existing hard wired roomstat.

You would have to put the receiver by the wiring centre and not where the old thermostat was located

You would have to put the receiver by the wiring centre and not where the old thermostat was located
thats not what I asked. I am aware of that.
As a matter of interest, the old thermostat is only 1 metre from the wiring centre, so it will be.

thats not what I asked. I am aware of that.
As a matter of interest, the old thermostat is only 1 metre from the wiring centre, so it will be.

You need a permanent live

I would put the receiver right next to the wiring centre

But of 5 core flex and your sorted

Brown perm live
Blue neutral
Green earth
Black live (time clock)
Grey switch

TBH it doesn't really matter aslong as there marked live with brown tape

Or link live into 1on RF and switch line back on 3 and connect the earth in the approprate earth block on RF.

Or link live into 1on RF and switch line back on 3 and connect the earth in the approprate earth block on RF.

wont have a perm supply then only when prog come on

Is the supply not coming from boiler live then?

Ok. Thanks

Further to ^^^^, I think my system is Y plan, as it only has one 3 position valve.

Yep y plan still uses a port valve and x amount of wires there all the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Drayton RF601 wiring in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Good morning all I hope you are all well? I am after a bit of advice please, I am looking to fit a Drayton LWC1 wiring centre into my boiler circuit as the wiring is incorrect, someone has linked the Neutral and HW off wires in the programmer circuit for some reason. Looking at the wiring...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I would like to replace my ancient Honeywell mechanical thermostat with a Honeywell T3R PROGRAMMABLE THERMOSTAT I have three wires in the old thermostat. Please see the first three photos. 1 Red 3 Yellow 2 Blue are these 1 Live 3 Live return (Switched) 2 Neutral Could I configure it as in...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised valves simple bi-metal thermostat on wall in flat with 4 standard TRV's rarely used so not worried about the flat, and main house has Nest Gen 3 in the...
Replies
Views
Morning, I have a job later this week with the above , Viessmann Vitodens System boiler. It has a 4 pipe setup with internal diverter and at present there is a wireless thermostat/programmer controller in the hallway. Customer wants a Honeywell Evohome System and I just wondered if I can wire...
Replies
Views
Hi, i am replacing a 2 port z5 drayton valve with a 3 port mid position drayton. Can anyone please tell me what changes i have to make to the wiring. Another post suggested: 'you have to connect both white and grey wires to where the brown wire of the old head was connected' I have cocked up...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock