Search the forum,

Discuss Drayton Mid Position Valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone I've just joined the site and hope someone can help a plumber in need.

Not been on forums before so this is all pretty new to me, if the thread is in the wrong place then apologise.

I got called out to a customers house last week as the central heating wasn't working, on arrival I found a ideal system boiler, open vented hot water cylinder and a filo 3 port heating pack which includes, 3 port zone valve (British Gas), Drayton cylinder stat and room stat.

had a spare sync motor so, fitted to see if this would resolve the issue, Nope.

For example I H/W was selected on valve, when C/H is selected there is no movement on the valve but if I manually move the valve past the manual position it slides over to C/H automatically, micro switch activates then boiler lights, programmer is set to On.
if I turn C/H off on programmer valve stays on heating, when hot water is selected the valve moves automatically to hot water position.
once switched off the heating is selected on programmer again but the spindle does not move until done so manually.

valve head was snap on, so removed and checked again, thinking maybe the valve was seized and it would move the motor still nothing, moved spindle on valve body using plyers doesn't seem stiff in the slightest.

checked wiring at junction box, first off, wiring from programmer seemed to be in check with power getting to box when h/w then c/h and both switched on.

Room stat checked and clicks as should but tried connecting black cable to live to see if there was a fault, thought this would possibly send power to valve but still nothing.
connected wiring back into to original position.

cylinder stat checked seems to be.

doesn't mean to say I'm not missing something but I'm baffled.

Purchased a new replacement Drayton MA1 3 Port valve and just replace complete head, unfortunately still nothing.

the heating has been left in position on the valve so programmer will work and the hot water is being used via emersion heater.

any help on this one will be greatly appreciated

thank you for looking

Last edited:
If you're getting 240 to white wire at 3 port wiring when programmer is on and stat calling then change the entire 3 port valve.

Thanks for the quick reply paul

Yep 230 on the white cable, got the body so might change but im thinking with the head of the valve taken off say resting in my hand should there be movement when changing to central heating, im getting nothing.

One thing i noticed when getting the new valve head ready was the inside of casing had black like electrical dust, leading me to belive it could be a dodgy return ive been sold .

Thanks again

Go buy a new Honeywell and fit the complete valve. Check connections and if you have a problem then we know where to go from there. Best of luck.

Maybe the internal switch SW1 is stuck on grey so only the stalling circuit through the diode and SW2 is working from the white. Without this you cannot get to mid-position but if put there manually the circuit through grey could take it over to CH only, if required. What ever, it seems you have a dud. For the extra cost of the valve over the head you eliminate some of the uncertainty, so I also think go for a complete unit.

Morning got a update

Finally went back yesterday with a replacement 3 port valve as explained in original thread valve body moved freely so didnt feel necessary to drain down system, wired up new head clipped on to body, powered up and boom up n running.

Took old valve back to screwfix and got a refund.

Thanks for both your advice dont know how i havent discovered this site until now.
Bring on the weekend have a good one chaps

Morning got a update

Finally went back yesterday with a replacement 3 port valve as explained in original thread valve body moved freely so didnt feel necessary to drain down system, wired up new head clipped on to body, powered up and boom up n running.

Took old valve back to screwfix and got a refund.

Thanks for both your advice dont know how i havent discovered this site until now.
Bring on the weekend have a good one chaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Drayton Mid Position Valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock