Search the forum,

Discuss Draining and refilling an older Worcester Heatslave in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

docwatson

Hi all,
I'm going to install 2 new radiators on an existing oil fired central heating system. I'm new to plumbing and I'm not sure how to drain down the Boiler and then refill after installation. I will need to add a corrosion inhibitor as well.

The boiler is an older 12/14 Heatslave model.

Can anyone help?

To be honest, you are better getting a heating engineer to do it, if you have no idea about plumbing. But if you are doing it yourself, you could drain at any point lower than the rads pipework. The drain on the boiler will do, but will likely be seized and require a new draincock. Or remove a radiator at lower point to drain from a rad valve using a hose onto a piece of copper pipe with a nut & olive, if 15mm tailed valves.
Your system might be fed with a small tank which needs mains water isolated to, or if sealed system, just start draining and top up pressure later at filling loop.

Might be worth giving the whole system a flush especially with the age of your system, then adding an inhibitor.

probably better to add a desludging fluid.cleanser and leave it in 2 weeks, then drain down and power flush the system, replace the leaking bits on the boiler and fit the rads, flush out all the flux (assuming you have soldered the pipework) then refill from the lowest point on the system to avoid air locks. if it is a single pipe system, call in a plumber to avoid all the common mistakes diyers and sadly plumbers seem to make on these that take a while to sort out down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Draining and refilling an older Worcester Heatslave in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock