Discuss Does it exist....... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott_D

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscriber
Mortar in a silicon tube or something similar?
Already mixed so you can just fill a hole quickly and without mess.

You can buy a thing that looks like a silicon tube but you fill it yourself before you use it. Never seen one with ready made stuff in.

Unless you can still buy Mastic guns?

Looks good but you still need to mix up then clean it out.
Something you can use quickly on a service or CP12 when the flue isnt sealed would save lots of time and effort

Mortar in a silicon tube or something similar?
Already mixed so you can just fill a hole quickly and without mess.

Google 'repointing gun' and 'mortar gun'. You still need to mix up the mortar yourself, of course. IMO, not really worth the effort for just one or two holes at a time.

Scott , dont bother buying the mortar gun , I bought one a while ago , I am still experimenting with the mix but as you compress the sand and cement it cloggs the end of the gun up .

Scott , dont bother buying the mortar gun , I bought one a while ago , I am still experimenting with the mix but as you compress the sand and cement it cloggs the end of the gun up .

Needs to be runny like warm honey

You can get it pre mixed yes and no the pre mixed stuff isn't

I bought one of those mortar guns a few months ago to do some repointing. It was absolutely awful after the first squeeze, cracking idea but just doesn't work, tried different consistencies, plasticiser etc.
A bag (I think they're called a grout bag) works much better imo.
Mortar just isn't compatible with the type of product you're after, however if you do find something, let me know :D

I’ve seen blokes use them loads on site to point in pre-fab chimneys. They seem to work a treat.

We use a product called 'Flashcrete'
You have to mix it but it dries in around 5 minutes.

For patching small holes it works great.

For flue work I do use fire retardant foam in a gun for infill to set the flue, 20 minutes later I point using a minimum of mortar (mixed myself) to make good, if you want that to go off any quicker use cement hardener.

You won't get true cementitious products such as traditional mortar or plaster as wet premixed in a dispenser because cement curing isn't a process of 'drying', it's a chemical reaction and cement will actually set underwater or in a sealed container once it's mixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Does it exist....... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back