Search the forum,

Discuss Does hot/cold pressure imbalance affect my mixer shower temp? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HarryHarris

I have a combi boiler (Vailant ecoplus) and a mixer bar shower. The taps in the rest of the house, including bathroom, get super hot on demand. The pipe behind the mixer shower are very hot to the touch and yet even woth the thermo valve on the mixer at full it is moderately hot at best.

Ive tried taking the head of the thermo valve on the mixer and adjusting the limiter to its max but it seems like its already there.

The guy on the shower provider 'live chat' told me this is an issue of my hot water pressure not matching my cold water pressure. Is this likely? and if so, is there a way for me to adjust these pressures or do I need to call a professional?

(NB sometimes the shower is totally fine and gets up to a good temp, but still has to be on max temp for this, and other times its barely warm. Most of the time its somewhere inbetween. It seems to fluctuate every time)

Thanks for any help or advise.

how old is the shower/ bart mixer?

sounds like the cartridge is starting to go (regulates how and cold temps)

1. With a combi boiler, hot and cold pressures will be identical to within a very small percentage, unless you have a very unusual setup.
2. If it was fitted professionally, the installer should have set the output temperature as part of the installation. Normally set to maximum 38 degrees unless the customer asks for something different.
3. Are you sure the hot and cold connections are the right way round?
4. What mixer shower is it?

you will find it is the flow rates, the combi will be slowing the hot water flow down in order to heat it. The shower should have had flow limiters on the inlets fitted, but it sounds like there weren't

Can you check the fitting instructions for the shower? What make and model is it?

Its a Larkin Bar Shower mixer from Betterbathrooms.

betterbathrooms.com/showers/shower-valves/larkin-bar-shower-valve/

I fitted the shower myself, replacing the old mixer bar on the existing inlets. Should I have added flow limiters to the inlets? I made sure I bought a mixer labelled as suitable for combi boilers and low pressure systems.

Ive tiled over the plumbing behind the wall where the shower is now, so getting access to the pipes again is going to require a bit of smashing. Thanks for your help

I only bought the house a few months ago, boiler seems ok generally, all other rads and taps get plenty hot, but I have no idea who fitted it. (The old house owner was a bit of a cowboy by the state of his other electrics/plumbing so I wouldn't be surprised if he fitted it himself)

I'm sure the hot/cold is the right way round.

its a larkin bar mixer.

Thanks

Yes Tom, just tried it, the shower was luke warm,but when I turned the cold taps on in the bathroom it got much hotter. Assuming this is a cold water pressure issue then?

I still dont understand why the thermo valve in the mixer cant be adjustable to allow more hot water and less cold through, like the mixer on my taps? Do they set an upper limit of say 80%Hot 20%cold even at max temp. I would expect when I turn the valve fully I would get 100%Hot 0%Cold.

does the boiler fire just with the shower running?

Just to be clear. Do i need to put the limiter on the cold inlet before the thermostatic mixer valve? Or just generally reduce flow overall by putting it after the mixer on the hose outlet?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Does hot/cold pressure imbalance affect my mixer shower temp? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock