Search the forum,

Discuss Dodgy TRV's ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mindhawk

Hi

I have had a new system put in and I am finding that the only way to keep the rads on (to even warm the room) is keep them all on at 5.
They are Bulldog TRVs. if i set them to 4 (range 23-25C), they all seem to go off far too early.. two upstairs still go off when they are set to 5 (range 27-29C).
One thing I've also noticed is that a rad in the living room (when set to 4) not only goes off, but the pipes to and from are not hot either. I would expect the pipe to the TRV to be hot and then the rad switch off via the TRV.
i've had a rad off for decorating and got all of the air out.
Its running a Worcester heat 29CDI and the rad setting is about 6 ish on the boiler.

Have you checked the room temperature with another thermometer ? are the radiators large enough for the rooms ? have you got a room thermostat fitted on the wall ?

Hi

I have the room stat downstairs in the hall, which shows 20-21 when i have heating on.
The BTU rating for the rads are about 500 more than the room's requirements.
I asked my neighbour and he put larger ones in to avoid decorating.. i was thinking of make the two bedrooms 600 x 1400 rads (as opposed to 600x 900, 600 x 1000 as they are now).
it may be a cold house.. rooms are 3x3x2 x and the smallest one is about 2.5x2.5x2m (got a 600x700) in there.

Is your room stat above a radiator?

the room stat is opposite the rad downstairs in the hall.
i dont see how this affects the rads going off when they are set on 5, as all other rads are set on 5 and its only these two that go off.
the hallway is the hottest area as it doesnt have a trv on the rad.

if i can only get these rads on if I remove the top of the trv then whats the point in a trv? I have knocked it several times and no difference.

is it worth swapping a trv from another rad ?

The thermostat should really be in the coldest part of the house as it is this that controls the boiler not the trvs

Remove all TRV heads
Set the room stat to a high temperature
Let all the rads heat up.

Feel the flow and return pipe at the boiler so you get an idea of the temperature difference.
Now check each rad.
The difference should, ideally, be the same as at the boiler.
If the differences vary a lot the system needs balancing.

The middle of each rad should also feel the same temperature.

Room stat in wrong place ! stat opposite convector radiator , air movement is satisfying stat, Get RF stat fitted if re-siteing one in hall is a problem, The room stat is the control point for the house, once up to temp will shut down boiler regardless of TRVs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Dodgy TRV's ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Afternoon all, I have a customer with a heavily extended semi which now has 4 beds, 2 bathroom and 5 reception rooms. They have started working from home and want to zone the heating system, unfortunately the system boiler and cylinder is in the garage with 2 x 22mm primary pipes disappearing...
Replies
Views
Hi - I'm a reasonably experienced DIY plumber but just can't work out why the last new rad I've installed is cold - would really appreciate your help please. I've extended an existing 'run' of radiators - the last one on the run ( in downstairs kitchen) is cold. The first rad added is...
Replies
Views
Would like some help please as my Drayton Wiser system is a mess. I had 2 TRVs in the lounge, one in the main bedroom, the rest of the house - 6 other radiators and 2 bathroom towel radiators are just normal valve s. We live in a 4-bed, 3 storey house, as converted loft. Common problems were...
Replies
Views
H
Hi. I have all the rads in the house controlled with wireless Honeywell TRVs. This was done by an installer about 2 yrs ago. The kitchen TRVs are not working properly. The app says the kitchen is only 5 degrees as per the TRV, but the room is definitely warm and as a result, the rads seem to be...
Replies
Views
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or garden, run-of-the-mill British housing estate CH setup. Downstairs radiator, 1 of 2 in our living room, went cold one evening mid-November last...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock