Search the forum,

Discuss Dodgy Install....? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unqualified

Just had a Glow Worm 24 installed as old boiler was blown (burst seals etc) and it was wonderful for a few days.

Subsequently the condensate pipe starts dripping water all over the back yard, the guys come and replace with a fatter (insulated) pipe, whilst saying this is a sign that boiler is efficient, then the issue gets worse and the boiler pressure keeps dropping below 0.5 etc etc. Whole situation aggravated by toilet cistern being partially torn off the wall during install, small rubble being thrown down bathroom sink, old flue and brickwork left in back yard, yadda yadda.

Am I wrong in thinking that system pressure and outlet checks should be a standard part of an install? I'm a numbers guy, not a plumber, but this feels like a proper :clap:to me? It's my landlord footing the bill but it's me with dodgy heating and weeks of no hot water. Any clarification would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Presuming it was an open vent system before, that can be a risk in changing to a pressurised system as it can find a a weak joint some where and cause a leak

We had a Ferroli combi in before which took three visits for the guys to report it to landlord as requiring replacement due to numerous blown seals internally. After getting the go-ahead they replaced boiler, flushed the system, and fitted a filter. Replaced the flue with a new one and that was it.

Condensate links into the down-pipe out back. One would presume any competent plumber could seal off a new pipe-fitting into a main drain, but evidently not. Apparently they 'don't do taps' and don't touch showers, so presumably purely heating engineers, not full plumbers.

Condensate links into the down-pipe out back. One would presume any competent plumber could seal off a new pipe-fitting into a main drain, but evidently not. Apparently they 'don't do taps' and don't touch showers, so presumably purely heating engineers, not full plumbers.

From what your describing calling them heating engineers is way more than they deserve , When I started in this trade you were taught to clear up your mess, We all start as Plumbers and learn the heating side over meny years, these sort of people think they are above doing the small finishing off things, quick bodge it and legit fools, charge top ÂŁ for crap job, these people get the industry a very bad name, & need to be stopped, Did you check there gas cards ?

From what your describing calling them heating engineers is way more than they deserve , When I started in this trade you were taught to clear up your mess, We all start as Plumbers and learn the heating side over meny years, these sort of people think they are above doing the small finishing off things, quick bodge it and legit fools, charge top ÂŁ for crap job, these people get the industry a very bad name, & need to be stopped, Did you check there gas cards ?

Not yet, but shall be Googling over weekend and checking when they show up on Monday again (if they do - would be the third missed appointment if they don't). Found earlier today a foot they'd managed to break off of a stool we have lying around in the bathroom then hidden under a display unit used to hide the pipe-work, much like a child would do with a broken toy. Really tragic. Thanks for everybody's input so far.

I can borrow the other half's phone and post pics tomorrow - exactly what areas are wise to take images of? As a noob I already stored a couple of the leaky pipe, where leak springs from, size of overflow, but none of boiler parts, connections, etc.

Again, thank you all for attention to date. Greatly appreciated. Whole thing just feels like something my boss would take me into a quiet corner room for a quick word about, followed by a P45 a week later. It's great to get opinions of people who know their stuff and aren't emotionally involved in the situation!

Extra point - boiler pressure drops and it kicks in when a cold tap is run. This was explained as 'most likely a dog-leg pipe somewhere' back-drawing from the system. My very limited knowledge makes me think this could be easily and cheaply resolved by a one-way valve on the intake pipe or something? And should this not have been obvious and fixed as part of install, even if they aren't being paid to check the entire heating system but just for an install? I really don't know what is considered standard practice in this realm. Thanks again, and will post pics if you tell me what to photo.

Non of your problems have been sorted, all you have is a new boiler ! Any heating installer/Plumber worth is salt would never leave a system with these issues ! system would be run and checked for any other problems, and should have been put right, we have all had systems that have shown up extra faults, some we put right as part of the install other unforeseen problems that could cost extra money are discussed with customer and an agreement come to about what must be done, Its called professional curtsey ! something that seems to be overlooked in a lot of cases.

Not a good install or customer service as far as I can tell
Did your landlord just go for the cheapest quote or are these his regular plumbers
Be interested to know how much they charged him/her
Not that it should have any baring on quality of workmanship, but it probably has

There are usually two sides to a story.
As its a landlord the fitters were probably paid rock bottom prices to fit a new boiler, there may have been no allowance for sorting out leaks, other issues or even clearing waste.

I'm not saying it's right but it is possible

There are usually two sides to a story.
As its a landlord the fitters were probably paid rock bottom prices to fit a new boiler, there may have been no allowance for sorting out leaks, other issues or even clearing waste.

I'm not saying it's right but it is possible

That's exactly what I was thinking. Landlord probably screwed the price down.

It's the landlord's regular heating guys and he has someone else for showers etc. There were a number of issues with the flat and having rented in London before I was all geared up and prepared for a fight when the landlord came round to discuss them but he effectively turned up with a shopping list and within two weeks we had 3 new windows, a new door, new shower, dehumidifier delivered and replaced, and new boiler all fitted! He does appear to keep costs down but has actually been great - a lovely change from past experience!

My thoughts, which I've spoken to him about, are that the fitters just assume that nobody feeds back to the landlord if there are any problems. Landlord is happy for me to contact the fitters as long as I keep him in the loop about what's going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Dodgy Install....? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

A (if) CH system has a very high head loss due to improperly sized pipework and long runs and possibly partially blocked pipes and requires a UPS2 pump running at its 8M head to feed 21 rads with a theoretical output of 25kw at a 20C dT. A fairly old Vaillant 438 boiler is being replaced, the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am replacing our 11 year old boiler (due to H.Ex. leak) with a new one. This is in a "sealed" system with red expansion vessel in airig cupboard & a megaflo (no tank in loft). However the exisiting boiler is Vaillant ecoTEC 4xx boiler - which is satated by vaillant as an "open vent" boiler...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem could be. We have a biomass boiler and stratification tank set up and recently had an issue with boiler pressure dropping off when the system was cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this could be as a result of us noticing the sound more when there is less environmental noise). Unfortunately, it is severely disrupting our sleep, so we...
Replies
Views
A
Previously had a WB Greenstar R28 HE System boiler with 4 pipes and vented (gravity fed) cylinder. No valves or pumps outside of the boiler. Worked fine for 20 years. Decided to change to Viessmann 050-W System boiler when WB failed but keep the same set up with cylinder. Gas Safe installer I...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock