Search the forum,

Discuss Do you need a hand? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can i just point out a lil fact that I have noticed,
Below is a similar threads section, which has 4 helping hand threads,
1 has 4 replies and the other 3 have 0 replies,
The fact of the matter is that if I had said I will work for free, then you would of thought, oh not another one!!!
If I had asked for £50 a day I would of got a few good luck messages.
But because I asked for £100 a day a realistic amount that I need to survive on, suddenly everyone is outraged, "this person is trying to actually be sensible and ask for a sensible amount, how outrageous"
How many people who offer their services for free actually keep the job for longer then a few weeks.
Anybody who is older then 17/18 has got bills, they have food to buy and rent to pay.
For anybody living at home with parents that are not paying bills then fair play, working for free or for £40 a week is fair play and if you want to take advantage of this then fair play to you.
But this is not physically possible for me, I need Around £80-£100 a day to pay my bills and feed my family.
If you do not have a job or wish to pay this then fair play, thank you for looking. However I still hold great belief that there are people out there who are willing to pay this much.
Only time will tell.

ye but jase your just not getting it mate no one is going to pay you £500 a week plus tax and insurance the employers liablilty etc on top mate when your just a plumber or plumbers mate and not even gas safe regardless of what you need to pay your bills i only get £80 a day wen i help a bloke out and am gas safe the lot so £100 just aint happening

Jase why don't you do what I do, get a full time job (I work nights) then in the day make top up cash, until youve got loads of experience to tackle the trades well! Eventually moving on to being self employed all the time?

At least you know you have the money coming in at this tricky time?

Hope this helps

Just out of curiosity, when do you sleep?

Good advice but not for me. I need 7-8 hours sleep and get an ear full for working late, so working 16-18 hour days is just not an option, might as well write my divorce papers out now if I planned to do that.

Can I just ask, where is most people from, the ones who say £100 is not realistic?
I notice that most are from near scotland, Would be interesting to see as not many replies from people in London or within a 30 mile radius.

Can I just ask, where is most people from, the ones who say £100 is not realistic?
I notice that most are from near scotland, Would be interesting to see as not many replies from people in London or within a 30 mile radius.

I gave a fairly detailed account of figures.

And I have declared where I live too.

i think you need to consider a carrer change am afraid , how many hours a day are you willing to work just for the sake of asking 9-5

£100 (£12.50/hr) is very realistic anywhere for books in. £400 a day (piece work) is realistic books in too if you are good and fast but you won't be home at 5.
Get yourself signed up with every agency you can think of.

9-5 = 8 hours,
My post clearly says I will not work 16-18 hours, this is start at 7am and finnish 11pm-1am, this is what RCJ was saying.

No wonder you are only getting £80 a day, if you can't read.

your just not listening to anyone jase i get the feeling you are sitting thinking we are all wrong and your right, some attitude

i agree with bod mate. Your entering the wrong game because sometimes you just gotta do those long days in the plumbing world. You cant just knock off 5pm if the waters not on in december and they have kids and no heating!

Iv only literally read all these replies tonight and nobodys been ripping into you mate there just being honest to what you asked.

A good tip is dont get the hump either if you dont like what you hear as youll get nowhere in this world being like that in any trade. Think about it.... these posts lasts for ages and if someone reading these needed a help in your area shortly from time to time do you think they would contact you after reading your responses.....

People have to like you to give you money! customers, bosses, subby-mates etc etc

Fair play bud at least ur trying but u aint got a hope 100 day stop de lights on de game maybe

There are places in SCOTLAND Jase that you can earn in excess of £100 a day, with Aberdeen being one of them. We're not all poor in the North you know, many of us run very successful businesses.

There are a lot of replies from a wide demographic area in England and they all say that £100 is asking too much, but when the economy was in a far better state than now, I would agree with you that you could earn that. Things are very tight just now for everyone.

I can't remember the last time I worked 8 hours a day being self employed, more like 10-12.

9-5 = 8 hours,
My post clearly says I will not work 16-18 hours, this is start at 7am and finnish 11pm-1am, this is what RCJ was saying.

Nothing wrong with working until 11 at night, in fact if you finish before 11 you might catch a late pint on the way home.
It is all down to training :wink:

I work a shift pattern of 5 nights one week, 2 the next, averaging 35hrs a week. And I can easily go 48hours no sleep, done it many times and worked safely too (before anything is said).

Now personally I'm not being horrible, but if I was you and worrying so much about your bills and putting food on the table I would give a monkeys arse about working nights, days and both! As long as I got the funds in. Fair play I'm 21, not got the same experience as most, but the principle of doing any job any hours is in me to make sure I get the dollar in my back pocket.

If what you've stated so many times above is actually as important as you said, you wouldn't care either.

I know this is one of my first posts on here... And those who don't like it well sorry but there's only so much tolerance one person can have.

I think it is about time this what put to bed as it seems to be going round in circles now.

Thank you to everybody who has posted, firstly I have learnt that it is not what somebody is willing to pay you that counts but what you are worth that is most important,
I have also learnt that there is a very slim chance of a plumber taking me on as 90% of plumbers are either looking for an apprentice or a cheap labourer and is only willing to pay the going rate for an apprentice.
I have also learnt that although the NVQ is a worldwide recognised certificate, it is not worth much to a plumber, experience and Gas safe registration is the most crucial recognition you can get.
Also I have realised that this business is a lot harder to get into then I first believed.
I still believe that £100 is a reasonable amount for a day and will not give up on this, but I am also going to keep my options open in regards to daily rates. (£50 a day is better then being self employed and getting nothing in a week.) If I get offered a job for £50 a day, then it might be worth considering, where as before I would of dismissed it straight away.

Finnaly I would like to say sorry to anybody i may have offended as this was not my intention, I was simply argueing the case, rather then not listening. Thank you to Everybody who has posted.

I work a shift pattern of 5 nights one week, 2 the next, averaging 35hrs a week. And I can easily go 48hours no sleep, done it many times and worked safely too (before anything is said).

Now personally I'm not being horrible, but if I was you and worrying so much about your bills and putting food on the table I would give a monkeys arse about working nights, days and both! As long as I got the funds in. Fair play I'm 21, not got the same experience as most, but the principle of doing any job any hours is in me to make sure I get the dollar in my back pocket.

If what you've stated so many times above is actually as important as you said, you wouldn't care either.

I know this is one of my first posts on here... And those who don't like it well sorry but there's only so much tolerance one person can have.

48 hours is way too long to be working without sleep, definetly not for me, thank you.
There has to be a balance between working and seeing the family, There is no point working if you don't have time to spend it. life's too short for that.

And to everybody who said I am looking to do 9-5, I am not saying that (although would be nice) I am willing to work, 12-14 hours, but not 16-18 hours.

I think it is about time this what put to bed as it seems to be going round in circles now.

Thank you to everybody who has posted, firstly I have learnt that it is not what somebody is willing to pay you that counts but what you are worth that is most important,
I have also learnt that there is a very slim chance of a plumber taking me on as 90% of plumbers are either looking for an apprentice or a cheap labourer and is only willing to pay the going rate for an apprentice.
I have also learnt that although the NVQ is a worldwide recognised certificate, it is not worth much to a plumber, experience and Gas safe registration is the most crucial recognition you can get.
Also I have realised that this business is a lot harder to get into then I first believed.
I still believe that £100 is a reasonable amount for a day and will not give up on this, but I am also going to keep my options open in regards to daily rates. (£50 a day is better then being self employed and getting nothing in a week.) If I get offered a job for £50 a day, then it might be worth considering, where as before I would of dismissed it straight away.

Finnaly I would like to say sorry to anybody i may have offended as this was not my intention, I was simply argueing the case, rather then not listening. Thank you to Everybody who has posted.

In fairness to you Jase, it seems you've taken our points to heart. In an ideal world, there wouldn't be half the plumbers around that there are at the moment. We're an over crowded country with too many plumbers, builders, solicitors, MPs, accountants and so on - down to immigration.

Hope you find something (in plumbing!) that is agreeable and gives you a decent rate of return.

No in fairness I was telling you to go out and work 48hours, I realise that isn't an easy achievement. I'm in the reserve armed services ( in my spare time hahaha!) so I'm use to doing exercises and no stop activities, spending time away for a while taught me that. But it is about balance, I get every other weekend off, unless a emergency job comes up.

Anyway, what I was trying to say was, even if you get a job in a shop of maybe 30hours a week, it's not your £100 a day, but it's something. Then in your spare time try and earn the rest? My full time job pays £10 an hour. So realistically only £200 of work would need to be earnt (well a bit more if calculating tax blah blah blah).

I genuinely hope you sort it. As they say good things comes to those who wait.

Id like to be able to get in the plumbing trade as an apprentice let alone as a mate, I would happily work for national minimum wage if it meant getting 1 step up the ladder :)

I'm sorry jase but your way off the Mark...I'm 24 have a 3 yr old and a mortgage and an expensive Mrs!!! I learnt the hard way, had to drop out of Uni to get a job to provide for them. at one point I was leaving my day job (9-5) having to eat my dinner on the way to my other job in a bar just to get by and feed my family! big shock from Uni life but needs must!

life a beach sometimes and don't get to see my family some night...don't get to see me boy in the morning because I've gone to work and he's asleep when I'm home...its not what I want but when I do get the chance I cherish them moment with them and hope one day thinks will get better! and the Mrs understand I have to do this!

my point is sought your attitude out because let's face it...its stink! don't intend on causing offence but I have read through this thread and your comments are frustrating, your missing the point of these plumbing willing to give you advise!

I myself work full time like rcj and gain experience on word of mouth jobs on evenings and weekends and have done for the last 18 months, yes very slow going you could say but I'm gaining invaluable knowledge VIA jobs (small & large), this forums and reading countless book to back up my onsite knowledge. And um getting there as the other I was speaking to a random bloke in my local Indian cuisine and was telling me situation and he has offered me Saturday work whenever I want it...turned out he was a plumber! the best Indian I have ever had.....I only bought him one pint too, cheap date :p

£100 (£12.50/hr) is very realistic anywhere for books in. £400 a day (piece work) is realistic books in too if you are good and fast but you won't be home at 5.
Get yourself signed up with every agency you can think of.

Tamz i agree 100 a day is achievable but we are discussing a 'mate' here and not a plumber. no-one will pay a ton a day while he gets his speed up.

Don't mind me while I reply to a few of the threads. We need the new thread pages to be picked up correctly. If this thread isn't current, just visit the plumbing forum and post your own new thread or checkout the other existing threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Do you need a hand? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock