Search the forum,

Discuss Do you need a boiler with a unvented system such as a Megaflow (or other brand?) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

itstime222

Hi,

Question - we are planning to upgrade our heating and hot water system in the near future. We are oil 'fed' and have poor hot water pressure so were planning on getting a megaflow or similar system. Am I right saying that we need to have both a boiler as well as the Megaflow, or does the megaflow replace the oil boiler as well?

I have also seen that you can get electricity powered megaflow's, if you go down this route do you still need the oil boiler? And are they ridiculously inefficient on the electric?

Finally, if we need to keep an oil fuelled boiler as well as the Megaflo, can this be situated outside?

Thanks for your help!!! Im baffled!

Hi,

Question - we are planning to upgrade our heating and hot water system in the near future. We are oil 'fed' and have poor hot water pressure so were planning on getting a megaflow or similar system. Am I right saying that we need to have both a boiler as well as the Megaflow, or does the megaflow replace the oil boiler as well?

I have also seen that you can get electricity powered megaflow's, if you go down this route do you still need the oil boiler? And are they ridiculously inefficient on the electric?

Finally, if we need to keep an oil fuelled boiler as well as the Megaflo, can this be situated outside?

Thanks for your help!!! Im baffled!

The Megaflow is a cylinder / tank for storing water. They are normally mains fed but you could use a cold water storage tank and a pump to feed it, if your main is poor ?

Normally the Boiler would heat it but you can use the immersion heater only if you like. They are 3KW and won't heat the cylinder completely like a boiler would do. ( fully )

You could ( if site permits ) have an external boiler, yes

Last edited:
The Megaflow is a cylinder / tank for storing water. They are normally mains fed but you could use a cold water storage tank and a pump to feed it, if your main is poor ?

Normally the Boiler would heat it but you can use the immersion heater only if you like. They are 3KW and won't heat the cylinder completely like a boiler would do. ( fully )

You could ( if site permits ) have an external boiler, yes

Hi there - ah okay I see. Our mains isn't that bad - sorry was getting confused!

So it sounds like I need both really - or it would work better if we had both. I'm thinking boiler outside and then the megaflo in an airing cupboard somewhere upstairs. I suppose the only other option is a combi boiler but its an old 3 bed, 2 bath house with bad pipes so my understanding is that the combi wont be man enough for the job..

When you say site permits - do you mean we would need a permit, or if do you mean if we have somewhere to put it?

Thanks again.

Hi there - ah okay I see. Our mains isn't that bad - sorry was getting confused!

So it sounds like I need both really - or it would work better if we had both. I'm thinking boiler outside and then the megaflo in an airing cupboard somewhere upstairs. I suppose the only other option is a combi boiler but its an old 3 bed, 2 bath house with bad pipes so my understanding is that the combi wont be man enough for the job..

When you say site permits - do you mean we would need a permit, or if do you mean if we have somewhere to put it?

Thanks again.

I meant somewhere to put it that falls in line with regs.

Personally, I think you've already got the best idea. Boiler and Cylinder.
I would go for a Vaillant cylinder myself.

There are lots of makes of cylinders and Boilers (Vaillant don't make oil fired Boilers) and each Engineer will have their own preferences. There are other options too, for example, Vaillant do an aurostor cylinder which has two coils ( thing that boiler uses to heat it up ) so if at a later date you wanted to add, say, solar panels to heat your water, it would already be in place.

Best thing to do is find a recommended Heating engineer, who is G3 qualified and also has the relevant Oil qualifications.

I presume your existing Boiler has come to the end of it's life ?

You need someone to see it really because there are things that need checking, like water pressure and flow, Heating system water etc.

Your best bet in the first instance is to get an engineer out who carries the G3 ticket as you need this to install and work on unvented cylinders. If he's any good he will test your static and dynamic pressure as well as your flow and make a recommendation based on your circumstances. Would obviously help if he were Oftec (oil qualified) too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Do you need a boiler with a unvented system such as a Megaflow (or other brand?) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Home owner looking for some advice pls. We have a megaflow system which we are considering removing as the tank takes up a lot of space and we don’t find we are using more than one shower or bath at a time. Our plan is to do this when the current boiler needs replacing (probably in the next...
Replies
Views
Hi can anybody help me with a problem I am having. following a power cut the heating and hot water failed. The boiler would light but it would go out because of no flow. I thought it was the programmer blown because if it wasn’t calling for heat or hot water it doesn’t trip the electric,but as...
Replies
Views
So a strange conundrum regarding water temp if anyone can help resolve, would be much appreciated. Ive tried to give as much info as possible to give a full picture but let me know if ive missed anything. I have a Baxi Avanta 25h heat only boiler. Works fine. Unvented 300ltr megaflow. Stated...
Replies
Views
T
Hi We urgently need to get our h/w cylinder replaced because it's leaking. Our current system is oil boiler feeding underfloor downstairs, radiators upstairs and an unvented hot water cylinder for hot water. We are thinking of moving to a heat pump at some point but aren't ready to do this. My...
Replies
Views
hello we have an unvented system. we have an issue where the hot water is hot for 10 seconds and then luke warm, turn off taps / wait and turn back and it repeats itself. had boiler checked and told it was the expansion vessel. Had the expansion vessel drained and recharged. plumber told me...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock