Search the forum,

Discuss Do i try and resolder or replace? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gavla

Hello there,
I have just fitted a swirl bar shower for a friend of mine yesterday, and today he noticed in the airing cupboard a slight weep on the yorkshire fitting connected to the cold. Do I try and resolder the 90º yorkshire fitting (not to sure if it will take) or is it best to cut pipe and replace with new. I have isolated the cold for the time being.

regards gavla

Thanks gas man,
I soldered the yorkshire yesterday, obviously not good enough (so annoyed with myself) Just wondering if it is worth trying or just go ahead what you said.

gavla

the problem with re-soldering existing joints are dirt and steam build up in the pipe work steam will easily blow a joint so its quicker sometimes to cut out and replace

Hi gavla gasman is right may be a pain to do but its best to cut it out and renew
you will be glad you did so will your friend good luck :)regards turnpin

The only way you can resolder a fitting is by disassembling it, completely removing as much remaining solder as possible, thoroughly cleanining and dressing back to bright metal and soldering up again as if it were an end feed fitting, and ensure you pressure test afterwards. I have done it on several occasions but it's a real mess on, therefore you only do this where another solution is impractical.

I dunno whether its good but you can heat up fitting with damp cloth ready take fitting off wipe pipes while hot to get off excess solder then put a compression in its place. put abit of ptfe or lsx over the olive and you don't have to worry about it.

Pull it off with a pair of grips and wipe it with your finger or a bit steel wool if you have hands that do dishes:D

Pull it off with a pair of grips and wipe it with your finger or a bit steel wool if you have hands that do dishes:D

Lol don't you mean rip it off with your teeth while staring at the customer?

I suppose it could be considered flirting in some parts of south england lol

you definitely can just resolder it as long as you get all the water out of the pipe first and put more flux and solder around the pipe

That is if it has tinned right on the first attempt. Sometimes it has sometimes it hasn't. Usually better to just pull it off and redo it.

tamz what u mean tinned right the first time? it obviously hasnt been done right first time if its leaking lol.
trust me I do it all the time and 99 out a hundred times it works

If the solder has not stuck to the pipe or fitting (tinned) all the way around 90% of the time you could slap flux over it and try to get it to take, it won't And if it does it will most likely be holding around the edge. It is a different matter if it has been moved before right cool. A reheat will fix that.
Easier just to pull it off and fit a new one than waste time trying to resolder something that won't take. I've not got time to pi.. around trying. It comes off.

warm it up and knock it of clean the pipe and fit new bend jobs a goodun
you must have been realy trying to get a leak on a yorkshire fitting

Last time I had to resolder a fitting was a 54mm copper elbow in a really awkward position. I opened up the fitting and actually cleaned and tinned both the pipe ends and the fitting insides to make sure I had a good joint second time round.

Last time I had to resolder a fitting was a 54mm copper elbow in a really awkward position. I opened up the fitting and actually cleaned and tinned both the pipe ends and the fitting insides to make sure I had a good joint second time round.

Don't even need flux then. That one always surprises the boy! lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Do i try and resolder or replace? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock