Discuss DIYers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bernie2

Why are professional people afraid of DIYers getting to know their jobs?

Are they afraid for safety reasons?

But then why can people learn as much as they like about electricity for free, but struggle to find the basics out about gas?

It doesn't seem to bother the "Sparks" at all and there doesn't seem to be any more people doing their own sparking, as there was before. So why are gas workers afraid of DIYers knowing?

So long as you tell them the Gas Safe rules and Regulations its not a problem. In point knowing a bit more, may stop them doing something they thought was easy.

Lets be honest a gas fitter charging £80 per hour is perhaps always going to have competition off DIYers. I would prefer they knew what was involved before they tried to do anything and definitely would not encourage them to break the law in any way. :):)

I often get work where it has gone wrong for the DIYer and generally they panic and get earache of the misses. But I try to involve the customer/DIYer to buld there confidence for next time. Often its a simple mistake that they have over looked and in return I get more business for when it is a little bit more challanging. But I wouldnt advocate DIY gas work, I dont think ant parts should be sold to the public.

Hi,

Not scared just wary !!!:) lol

Like Winston I don't patronize them, but it does get frustrating sometimes when you arrive and (hubby usually) is no where to be seen !!! You know poor hubby has been badgered into attempting the work he would rather have paid a professional to do , but like us all we want to keep our loved ones happy !!!! Picked up loads of work from diy bodge ups:)

Its impractical not to sell gas parts to the public.

The sad thing seems to be is that if you restrict supply of anything the price goes up possibly through profit taking off those who can't get the goods anywhere else.

Be great if all supplies limits their factory gate mark ups to about 2% though.

Unfortunately now days the market seems to work on the basis of, getting more medals for selling something cheap, for as much as you can get.

The poor old customer is the sap who pays.

I watched an architectural program once and the architect who had bought a piece of oak said "It seems about 15 people have made a good living out of this one piece of wood since it was cut!" That is just silly.

I know its costs a lot to set up now days in the Plumbing game, what with ACS and all that. But we should really aim to recoup those costs over a five year period not in the first month. We can price ourselves out of work as well as in to it.

If the government want to encourage entrepreneurs in Plumbing then they should give grants to cover start up costs and training. Then people could lower their prices.

Lets be honest if Plumbers where cheap enough, people would probably call them in before doing it themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to DIYers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I'm coming on this forum and moderating all posts for a good few weeks, and running searches on old posts. I'm noticing things, and some are being...
Replies
Views
We went about things the wrong way. Hopefully, we are getting our 'new installation sorted' out. But it will never be ideal. We have had a lot of...
Replies
Views
D
First time posting on here and I am after some help and advice on a project I have ongoing at home - a bit cheeky I know but as they say around...
Replies
Views
R
Here's the back up poll for people who were ineligible for the free boiler, but nevertheless put pen to paper in an orgy of rhyming couplets and...
Replies
Views
Masood
M
D
You may have noticed Derek Hardman occasionally posting a link up for a petition. Here is a full explanation (lifted verbatim from facebook!) of...
Replies
Views
Back