Search the forum,

Discuss DIYER Lost all radiators but 2 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
pumps do fail if they are pumping air for the night.
i would look at an airlock, then call in a pro.

Water did come out of the pump when I loosened the bleed screw. but I assume an airlock further along would restrict water to the pump. Thanks

Pumps can be faulty whether water comes out of them or not - especially if you impale them with screwdrivers ...

i once got impaled in the hand with a scissors then a few weeks later a steak knife bloody hurt and all and was a bit messy claret everywhere,anyway you should not impale pumps the standard worked fine for years design is being outlawed in jan as being to red or something stupid like that

Well I suppose if the pump is fine then you could try changing the zone valve.

This is just HILARIOUS!! Never heard someone pouring old CH water back in :D

Pure comedy :)

If you've let the water run through to flush the system out, refill and start up, and let the heating run for a while. If it's an air lock it might clear itself after running for a while.

The weekend plan is to give it a flush, try and clear any airlocks, and if still no luck look for a plumber.
Thanks for the odd bit of advice, between the mickey taking and laughter !
I

You state that you saved the water and refilled the system and all downstairs radiators stopped working, then you repeat this and you lose an upstairs rad...are you sure you are putting all the water back in..have you spilt some whilst transporting it...also if ur ball valves stuck it wont release any water to top ur system up...could be something simple..fill your system properly stop being a tight ar*e or u could end up paying more in the end !!

No goldfish, so right tank.
FE Tank is full and Ball valve working fine.
Just checked the Zone valves,and they seemed fine.
I have checked the joints that I did the work, pipes are hot. (one hot, one warm, flow and return I assume)
But I connected 2 flexis off my T's from the main radiator loop to bend round into the airing cupboard to connect to my Towel Warmer which hangs on the back of this wall, and these seem cold, and a little soft. Which hints to me that this may be part of the blockage.

Going to empty system one last time, new fresh clean water,going to let it flush through the system for a bit.
If still no joy, then it's time for the professionals.

Where did you get the flexi's from? Probably not rated for central heating.

Jim20, if you provide pictures its easier for us to comment and we will be able to assess the situation more efficiently. We could solve your problems if you send us some pictures

I have had some success! ! ! ! Following on from my last post, I initially thought of loosening off one end of the flexis, but decided against this. Gently undid the towel warmer lockshield valve nut as if I was taking the valve apart, (not just the valve bit, for balancing) air came out, followed by nice dirty hot smelly water ! ! ! !. Downstairs rads sprung into life !
Towel warmer still cold though.

The hoses came from screwfix. These Flexible Hose 15mm x 15mm 10mm bore 900mm | NoLinkingToThis. Is this and issue ? It wouldn't be impossible to use copper.

probably wont last 1/2 a year before they go if your lucky.

at a guess they have a max temp rating of 65degrees, best to repipe in copper or plastic

jesus, we've went from reusing the old ch heating water to using flexi's on the ch system. you will be lucky if i plumber wants to touch it now, i wouldent.

I have had some success! ! ! ! Following on from my last post, I initially thought of loosening off one end of the flexis, but decided against this. Gently undid the towel warmer lockshield valve nut as if I was taking the valve apart, (not just the valve bit, for balancing) air came out, followed by nice dirty hot smelly water ! ! ! !. Downstairs rads sprung into life !
Towel warmer still cold though.

Hot CLEAN water would be better. Have you had the system properly cleaned within the last few years?

Do the radiators get hot at the bottom?

Before you lash out on more inhibitor, it would be good housekeeping to make sure the system is squeaky clean.

If there's a lot of sludge in the radiators, you can take them off and connect a hose to clean them, or hire a power flush machine for around ÂŁ50.

Everything is working now.
Radiators seem to heat up evenly. But will look into getting it flushed.

It seems madness that if you shouldn't be using Flexi Hoses in central heating systems, that it does not clearly state this

Let me get this straight.....you have used a flexible hose on a central heating system?!!!!!

They are designed to withstand temps up to 65 degrees. Your flexies will become brittle, split and fail, plus any chemistry you have in your system will further degrade the rubber.

No matter how many times, we've advised you about getting a professional in, you seem to want to ignore this advice.....at your own peril be it. You might be tight, but you're not saving money doing this yourself, you've already damaged your heating system by doing this, it's not working right?!

It seems madness that if you shouldn't be using Flexi Hoses in central heating systems, that it does not clearly state this
That's another reason why you shouldn't be messing around with things you know little about. Any professional will tell you to never use a flexible hose on a heating system and not on old hot water supplies where the water can exceed 65 degrees.

Steady on.
If you read the posts earlier you would know that I resolved the initial problem on my own with no help, working logically through the options.
My Central Heating system is all working fine !
Yes I have made a couple of minor errors along the way, but nothing major.
The re-use of the water, maybe stupid, but it had only been in the system a couple of months prior to me cleaning and adding inhibator.
The using of flexis, well as I said it should be made clearer. They state weather they can be used for drinking water or not, so surely, an extra line stating not to be used in CH Systems wouldn't be too much.

And your statement "No matter how many times, we've advised you about getting a professional in" - You advised me once. Somebody else advised to check for an airlock and then call for a professional.

You've done it wrong, you've been told, you choose to ignore. Bye bye.

Hope you're not paying house insurance, cos once those flexis go they'll not pay out.

I am at a loss as to why you two feel the need for these posts.
I am righting my wrongs and I am thankful for the advice. I never said otherwise.

Steady on.
If you read the posts earlier you would know that I resolved the initial problem on my own with no help, working logically through the options.
My Central Heating system is all working fine !
Yes I have made a couple of minor errors along the way, but nothing major.
The re-use of the water, maybe stupid, but it had only been in the system a couple of months prior to me cleaning and adding inhibator.
The using of flexis, well as I said it should be made clearer. They state weather they can be used for drinking water or not, so surely, an extra line stating not to be used in CH Systems wouldn't be too much.

And your statement "No matter how many times, we've advised you about getting a professional in" - You advised me once. Somebody else advised to check for an airlock and then call for a professional.

JG state whether a fitting is suitable or not for central heating systems - they've got a red (hot) / blue (cold) colour code system too.

John Guest Speedfit - The World Leader in Push-fit Fittings, Pipe and Plastic Plumbing Systems - 15 & 22mm White PVC Hoses

Flexible pipes with very hot water are prone to kinking.

If you are going to use a flexi on a cold fitting stick with JG - long unbranded flexis are now available for a couple of pounds, which means they will have been manufactured for a few pence, so little wonder if they are unreliable.

At least you've got the problems sorted and will know what to do next time.

Jim20, please please PLEASE show pictures!!!

I want to see exactly how youve done everything, you've done ALOT wrong where it is and will damage your house such as the flexi's, they will fail and then pull down your ceilings and other issues!

Never have i seen a flexi on a CH i want to see ittttt

... and your wives will leave you, and your camels will go lame ... you have bought a curse upon your house ... please call a plumber asap to exorcise these demons by the use of fire and hot copper !!!

and so it came to pass... to be continued.

get rid of the flexi's and get some copper involved, if your not confedent with using copper then use plastic and some push fit fittings, just make sure you get them in full slip and use inserts. that will be alot better than the flexi's.

Hay guys thanks.
I took heed of the first warning with the Flexi's. I am in the process of soldering copper replacements. It is just a little awkward as I have to get from under the floor, up under the bath and then into the airing cupboard. Hence the initial thought of flexis.

I don't why you all felt I didn't listen. I came to your website for advice, you guys are the professionals

Koogatubac - Its all fine. I have Copper pipe running down the back of the Airing Cupboard, which connects to the radiator. I then have the main radiator flow and return, which I have solderd 'T' connections in. Then copper pipe under the floor to underneath the bath. At this point I had the Flexi's to get me from under the bath, accross and then up into the airing cupboard, to connect to the copper pipe. Thats all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to DIYER Lost all radiators but 2 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock