Search the forum,

Discuss DIY Project To Zone My House in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love the towel rad though! :)

Does your basin waste in your bathroom just go in your bath trap?
Hard to see from pictures

No the main 110mm soil pipe has 2 separate collars that take the individual outlet from the sink waste trap and bath trap

please follow Ecowarms advise about the wiring and wire it correctly save harming any future engineers. if wired with boiler interlock to all zones and it will save you money and give you good control.

make sure you lagg the pipework with min. 19mm lagging, and if you ever have rodent problems dont use plastic. Plastic needs clipping every 300mm or so, dont fit auto airvents in the loft, fit thumb vents.

4 elbows on your basin could well bring you problems in the future. Do you have enough access in case you need to take it all apart? Speaking of access - can you get under the bath without smashing the tiled bath panel?

Nice rad though, and keep posting pics Richard. This is my favourite thread of 2013 so far.

I do not have a picture of the boxing around the waste pipe but it is fine and looks good and does not look out of place.

If that would be me - I would lose all that pipework. I guess you like boxing. It would look better without the boxing. Hope there’s an access to the bath taps.

This is the bathroom looks now it is finished

I do not have a picture of the boxing around the waste pipe but it is fine and looks good and does not look out of place.

Thanks

View attachment 9986View attachment 9987

I guess you wanted a feedback on the tiling job, cos you’ve posted the pics for us to see. Here’s one from me. I do tile by the way.

Sorry Richard, not picking the holes but the tilling could be much better. The very first row of the tiles above the bath should sit above the bath lip – not to the side of bath. It would look much neater that way. You would end up with a nice silicone bead. I guess you had to use a plastic strips to fill the gap. Also, the very same row of tiles around the bath should be a full tile. It would look much better that way. I can see the top row by the ceiling would be fuller (which is always good) and you wouldn’t have the first grout line above the wash basing so close to the basin. There would be no issues to do that. Whoever was doing the tiling just didn’t bother to do that.
I don’t really understand why you end up with 3 rows of tiles on your side panel!? What’s the deal with that bottom tile strip by the floor!? Did you run out of the tiles!? A tiller wouldn’t do that. Yes, I can see the grout line on the side panel follows the grout line on the wall. You didn’t have to do that here, cos the side panel ended up looking a bit ugly. I don’t know if you can see that.

As above in the post, you should lose the skirting board.
Good try. I’m giving you 6 out of 10.

And I can’t see much drop at all on your waste pipe work from the wash basin!? It will get clogged up.

Well for a diy tiling job I'd say that's pretty damn good. It's not professional because you didn't measure out correctly first and start from the centre of the walls. Which is why you have smallish cuts at the top and at the end of the walls, and they are not symmetrical at each end . TBH I think people are being a bit picky about the tiling, in all honesty I've seen so called pro's do worse. But those wastes will block.,Get rid of unnecessary knuckles etc and put a proper fall on them. You can read up about falls etc in any good plumbing book. I would suggest you read and absorb several of them before trying to continue with your project. Good luck

Last edited:
omg.

never under any circumstances tile in a complete bath panel without access! this becomes so much more imperative when you have used plastic pipe and flexible tap connectors behind the panel.

but im sure im worrying about nothing....as an engineer im sure you will have thought of this and no doubt built an access hatch into the other side of the wall from the bath taps, and cunningly disguised it with a floor standing cupboard.

Thanks Guys for the feedback

There is more fall on the pipe from the sink waste that than can been seen in the picture so i think this will be ok, No problems so far 12 months

The bath panel is removable and is only secured by a bead of silicone and magnets on the back so i can remove it if needed

I have added a pic of the tiles and the ceiling how its finished.

Also a pic of the toilet as requested, Roding point inside the cupboard for building inspector

This complete panel behind the toilet is also removable you can see the clearance gaps. I have sealed these gaps post this picture with white silicone to neaten the finish it and it now visually looks like the bath panel

I am not a tiler and i know my job is just average but it looks ok and is functional

It is just the spare bathroom in the annex

Also in reply to the question about access to pipe work in kitchenette, yes i have full access to get to all my pinwork in case anything needs changing

This looks a lot different from when i started the extension.

IMG_8436.jpgIMG_8707.jpg

1-IMG_9275.jpg

From an earlier post someone asked how i was going to box in the pipe work from the bathroom basin to the bath

I did not actually have a picture of this but i have taken one just to show how i have covered it up

This box is removable again in case i have to remove the bath panel

I do understand that somple people do not like the skirting board in this area of the bathroom.

Regards

Richard

Tbh despite what others say, you have done a really good job for a DIY person, seriously give your self a pat on the back :p

Thank you I have worked hard on it

Would anyone like to see 1 pic of the start of the extention

A little but of architrave and skirting have done the trick. Looks OK to me.

The finish looks very very very good for a DIY

However underneath the boxings you WILL get problems

However if your happy, at the end of the day its your house, and the famous saying "you learn from your mistakes"

:) all the best

Good evening

Just purchased Automatic by-pass valve Honeywell DU145

Now looking for 50M of JG Speedfit Layflat polybutylene pipe coil 22mm

Phase 1 is to install a common return that captures all rads.

I will be installing this first as it will not affect any of the current setup

estimated install time including drain and connect to all radiators 2 days

Day 1

Clear Space ( General )
Make plan of layout path for new pipe work once all space is made available.
Lay single floor boards down the length of the loft across rafters to give flat base for the pipe to lay on
Install many clips and clip pipe work in.

Day 2

Drain system,
Remove all current copper and plastic pipe that is currently associated to the return only.
Connect all return pipes from radiators back into the new run of 22m Pipework
Fit bypass valve
Refill and test.

I will keep you updated.

Regards
Richard

Good evening

Day 1

Clear Space ( General )
Lay single floor boards down the length of the loft across rafters to give flat base for the pipe to lay on

Day 2

Drain system,
Remove all current copper and plastic pipe that is currently associated to the return only.
Fit bypass valve
Refill and test.

I will keep you updated.

Regards
Richard

Lay flat pipe won't lay flat its just a bit better than the other stuff on a coil. You will need a load of clips also.

Good evening

Day 1

Clear Space ( General )

Day 2

Drain system,
Fit bypass valve
Refill and test.

I will keep you updated.

Regards
Richard

Common return ?

Common return - normally referred as primary return, all rads return pipes are teed onto

When I did muti zones on houses eg zone up rads zone down rads I used to follow drawings installing flow and ret for up zone then flow and ret for down zone never had any problems , the lads that used to install flow for up zone flow for down zone and one common return (to save time as one less pipe installed )used to have complaints of radiators getting hot when they should not be.(three tee rule)

When I did muti zones on houses eg zone up rads zone down rads I used to follow drawings installing flow and ret for up zone then flow and ret for down zone never had any problems , the lads that used to install flow for up zone flow for down zone and one common return (to save time as one less pipe installed )used to have complaints of radiators getting hot when they should not be.(three tee rule)

I had to modify an entire estate of houses with a common return to prevent back flow issues after some other plumber bodged the jobs badly.

make sure your clips give you 20-25mm of height to get the lagging on, cable tie the lagging around the fittings to keep it from popin off.

tek sum pictures so we can see how your getting on.

What's the three tee rule? Surly it's not only three cups of tea a day that's mad! But seriously I would like to know :).

What's the three tee rule? Surly it's not only three cups of tea a day that's mad! But seriously I would like to know :).

You should always tee separate zone returns into a common return close to boiler, rather than having rads with separate flows but a single return. The cylinder should always be the last return to enter boiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to DIY Project To Zone My House in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock