Search the forum,

Discuss DIY Project To Zone My House in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Common return - normally referred as primary return, all rads return pipes are teed onto

not quite,
the primary return is the return from the main heating circuit, the common return is the last leg of the return to the boiler after all other zones and the cylinder return have joined.

it is called common, as it is the only part of the system that is downstream of all return points from zones.

What's the three tee rule? Surly it's not only three cups of tea a day that's mad! But seriously I would like to know :).
Three tee rule as I recall is, starting from the primary flow, 1st tee = Open Vent, 2nd Tee = Cold Feed, Final Tee = Cylinder return. I think that is the three tee rule! I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong!

I thought it was the order or way that your cylinder.heating and bypass returns were piped up to avoid reverse circulation. But can't actually remember what the rule is since I don't install whole systems really, but I know the cylinder is the last connection after bypass and central heating return. I think that's part of it

I thought it was the order or way that your cylinder.heating and bypass returns were piped up to avoid reverse circulation. But can't actually remember what the rule is since I don't install whole systems really, but I know the cylinder is the last connection after bypass and central heating return. I think that's part of it

yes. you can (and will ) have a whole bunch of tees if you are doing a few zones. as long as cylinder is last and vent and feed first all others go just before the cylinder and where possible close to the boiler so if needed the common return can be upsized so as not to affect flow when a bunch of returns bottle neck into this leg.

Yes it is 1st T vent (only in vented htg)
2nd T cylinder return
3rd T heating zone
But also must be piped correct I went to so many property's where this rule was broken on new build where when one zone is on and rads in off zone on also
And Richard will do this with a common return on the heating.
UFH training today

Just to start off I will not take any responsibility if any one uses or takes any advice from this post it is purely how I was shown by the people I worked with as an apprentice and the original 3 T rule which I have never installed due to my young age ? As this type of pipe layout is very old school and would never be installed today and has not for a lot of years, but the principle is that you always Have the return from the cylinder piped to the centre of the tee and (which I and the people I worked with call the three T rule which may be wrong but it just what we call it as reminds you of the importance of correctly putting your tees in to stop the possibility off back circulation, and with more heating systems having more than one heating zone this is very important on paper it does not seam important and when I worked for a company that had 70 installers working for them they would not all follow what I call the 3T rule and most of them thought I was talking crap but I was the one sent to sort it out when they had moved in to there brand new home and when it got to the summer some of the radiators would get hot only way to sort out lift up all there new carpets and re pipe using the rule and did this to lots of new build homes other installers had fitted out not following what I call the 3 T rule in there 1st fix, having not been to collage in the last 24 years there may be a correct name for this some one who has just finished collage may know, I have done a quick sketch of how the three T rule started but has no importance in how we install today,also the way I install not going to go in to to much detail you people that install for a living will no what is what and if I have missed any thing it was a quick sketch looking at the way to correctly Tee in your returns,View attachment 10125but would be interested how many of you do what I call the 3 T rule as most of the people I worked with on the company I did not do my apprenticeship with thought what I call (you no) was a load of crap sorry for the long post

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357849207.929843.jpg

These threads make me dispair after a while. We have exactly the same on the sparky forum. I appreciate people 'professional diyer' come on here and ask or in this case state what they are doing be it totally wrong and against regs etc then try to argue the toss when the are corrected by true professionals who train for years and take every opportunity to gain experience. I worked with a maintenance engineer when I was working in a factory (I am a 6 year served mechanical engineer trained and sparky) he had skills don't get me wrong, he was a professional diyer I went to to carry out periodic on his electrics, absolute shambles! Have your trade and stick to it. Do you carry out your own medical work too? No but your happy to mess with lethal systems of electricity and water. When I resign the van I might have 'better than a professional diyer' on it!

3_Coffees.jpg

I get dizzy looking at the pics on this forum.

Sorry (and no offence btw) Richard, had to point out the definition of 'simular' because it made me laugh. :wink_smile:

Simular
noun 1. a person or thing that simulates; pretender.

adjective 2. simulated; false; counterfeit.

3. imitative; simulative.

Just to start off I will not take any responsibility if any one uses or takes any advice from this post it is purely how I was shown by the people I worked with as an apprentice and the original 3 T rule which I have never installed due to my young age ? As this type of pipe layout is very old school and would never be installed today and has not for a lot of years, but the principle is that you always Have the return from the cylinder piped to the centre of the tee and (which I and the people I worked with call the three T rule which may be wrong but it just what we call it as reminds you of the importance of correctly putting your tees in to stop the possibility off back circulation, and with more heating systems having more than one heating zone this is very important on paper it does not seam important and when I worked for a company that had 70 installers working for them they would not all follow what I call the 3T rule and most of them thought I was talking crap but I was the one sent to sort it out when they had moved in to there brand new home and when it got to the summer some of the radiators would get hot only way to sort out lift up all there new carpets and re pipe using the rule and did this to lots of new build homes other installers had fitted out not following what I call the 3 T rule in there 1st fix, having not been to collage in the last 24 years there may be a correct name for this some one who has just finished collage may know, I have done a quick sketch of how the three T rule started but has no importance in how we install today,also the way I install not going to go in to to much detail you people that install for a living will no what is what and if I have missed any thing it was a quick sketch looking at the way to correctly Tee in your returns,View attachment 10125but would be interested how many of you do what I call the 3 T rule as most of the people I worked with on the company I did not do my apprenticeship with thought what I call (you no) was a load of crap sorry for the long post

I'll send you some full stops for Christmas. ;)

:juggle: QUOTE=Howsie;416424]I'll send you some full stops for Christmas. ;)[/QUOTE]
no point in sending me any howsie i have not got a clue where to put them so juggle with the ones i do have :rolleyes2:

Wow, this is a really superb, funny read/thread. Perhaps I should attempt to DIY my project to get more spice into it!

Wow, this is a really superb, funny read/thread. Perhaps I should attempt to DIY my project to get more spice into it!

I think you're heading in the right direction already rick :)

I think you're heading in the right direction already rick :)

No, I've done some simple plumbing in the past, but when you get to a certain age you get to appreciate/realize your limitations. I attempt to analyse and comment, but not DIY! I've never tried to use a chain saw. It looks fairly simple using one, but I don't ever intend to pick one up and try!

No, I've done some simple plumbing in the past, but when you get to a certain age you get to appreciate/realize your limitations. I attempt to analyse and comment, but not DIY! I've never tried to use a chain saw. It looks fairly simple using one, but I don't ever intend to pick one up and try!

It's nice to hear.

I was referring to your other thread though rick that's led you potentially to the intergas.

It's nice to hear.

I was referring to your other thread though rick that's led you potentially to the intergas.

Oh? They've been recommended. Are they a bit tricky to work with? I was going to name-drop it to the plumber we've used in the past?

Oh? They've been recommended. Are they a bit tricky to work with? I was going to name-drop it to the plumber we've used in the past?

I don't know, don't do gas myself, just oil and wet work. But they seem to get a good press with the lads on the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to DIY Project To Zone My House in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock