Search the forum,

Discuss DIY Project To Zone My House in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Richard at Home

Good evening and a happy new year to you all

I welcome any comments and feedback to my project I am looking at starting in 2013

now I know all this sort of thing can be done with many of the costly out of the box solutions that probably cost more than the boiler itself

What I am looking at doing is to create a heating system that has at least 3 Zones

I believe I could do this with some changes to the main Pipe work and 3 motorised zone valves and an additional time clock

Reason for project

During the day one member of my family is at home and requires heating to be on for 4 rads in part of the house.

Currently I am heating all the house all day when only part of the house needs to be heated

My daughter-in-law is also at home some times when not at Uni and may need her front room heating.

Now my logic is to have the secondary time clock switching the water flow between parts of the house during the day and in the evenings opening all valves to heat the complete house

Now I know this could also be done with the new wireless digital TVRs but this expense would be significant

I will add to this post as the project develops

If you have any questions or would like to bounce ideas or comments please reply and this may become an interesting post.

Thank you for your time

Best regards

Richard

Welcome to the forum Richard, the only comment I can give is that in my experience it's not a diy project, it's a job for a pro. But good luck in your endeavours.

Sounds like a big upheavle gonna require a re-pipe of certain sections of the house to get the different area you want on the different zones, could get complecated for a diyer

Well yes I guess I would class myself as a professional Diy to be honest.

There are not many tasks I have not undertaken, but I will supply pictures etc

Maybe i should change this from title from DIY we will see how it pans out.

Thanks simon

Yes I am aware this may be out of the scope of your average DIY persons scope, or even what they would want to do.

I understand I will have to add in 3 main 22mm Runs that I am calling Vanes. These 3 runs will control the 3 zones with the zone valves

I am lucky as I live in a Bungalow so I have access to all the pipe work for all rooms

Professional diy is an oxymoron. You'd best be looking at a manifold system.

The 3rd valve is for scope as i may want to control another room or 2 dependant if the room is empty or in use

This is just for flexability more then anything.

I still dont get it,
1 zone for the bloke who is in.
1 zone for the usual operation
is the other zone for your daughters bedroom?

Well yes I guess I would class myself as a professional Diy to be honest.

There are not many tasks I have not undertaken, but I will supply pictures etc

Maybe i should change this from title from DIY we will see how it pans out.

Thanks simon

Plenty of pictures and plenty of questions and then take it from there. If you get in touch with one of the mods BOD, Croppie, Gas Man, System3 or Steveb (hope I haven't missed anybody :) ) they can edit the title for you.

Just three heating zones?

What about hot water, or that off separate boiler?

Professional diy is an oxymoron. You'd best be looking at a manifold system.

Or the programmable TRV's, don't know a lot about it but read a little in the John Guest paperwork I read through recently.

Yes the manifold may be a solution for me to investigate. I will look at some layouts and see how it will fit in with my current pipe work and if this is a better route than running 3 flow and returns in 22

Ps
I personally believe you can do a professional job as "Do it Yourself" and stand your own ground.

But not all DIY is equal ! i agree.....

The hot water would be unaffected as it is on the y Plan currently. MY zone project will just switch the zone valves on and off throughout the day regardless of what the boiler is doing

This will hopefully reduce the complexity of control system requirements

Hope you follow what i am saying

This would make a good movie, probably starring Steve Martin, or someone else who can play the archetypal over confident bumbling fool.

The pitch - "Professional DIYer" rips up all of his floors, much to the displeasure of his missus who knows he's not up to the task, hilarity ensues! The guy pays a "professional professional" to rectify the situation with his bum on show, more hilarity ensues! Do you think it could get the green light?

Good luck buddy.

P.s. I imagine by vanes, you meant Veins, although you'll have to fit the zone valves to the Arteries.

No problem i will settle for a Good Job to a high standard

i am happy with that

Thanks

The 3rd valve is for scope as i may want to control another room or 2 dependant if the room is empty or in use

This is just for flexability more then anything.

you would be better off and save money if you planned what you were doing before you start, like professionals do.

The hot water would be unaffected as it is on the y Plan currently. MY zone project will just switch the zone valves on and off throughout the day regardless of what the boiler is doing

This will hopefully reduce the complexity of control system requirements

Hope you follow what i am saying

And there is your first mistake.

u need the boiler to fire up to give you heat? there is no need to have the zone valves open if boiler and pump aint running!

Just so you know,
went to a property the other day, someone had an extension done, they had done the plumbing "on the cheap" and I spent 3 days getting it up and running as it should be, new pump, powerflush, a day of finding pipework and the problems and finnally a day to fit magnaclean and change a couple trv's and add inhibitor.

Nearly £1,000 spent all for saving about £100 on fittings and pipework.

Lads, lets give the guy a break.

He's come on for advice, once he has the details of what's involved then it is for him to decide on wether he believes he has the skills to complete or bring in the pro.

Why not design your system on paper and get it ratified/validated by a pro. Best of both worlds then.

If you're good on the tools then at least you'll know what your doing will work.

Why not design your system on paper and get it ratified/validated by a pro. Best of both worlds then.

If you're good on the tools then at least you'll know what your doing will work.
will he pay the pro ? or get the 'ok' off this forum ?

Would you give free advice?

I'm sure he would or someone on here might do it for him.

IMHO this warrants a face to face discussion as its not just about connecting pipes.

I have drawn up the current layout of the Heating and Hot water system and i am going to use this as my basis for my modification for the project
I have not drawn up the proposed layout yet

But my idea is to take the 2 main 22mm flow and return pipes and add 2 more runs making a total of 3 Main Zones
Connect the desired Radiators to them and join them all up with the Zone valves to create one system full system.
Hope that makes sense

Attachments

• Heating System.jpg
    Heating System.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 170
In the hope when it goes to the dogs you'll be brought in to rectify? Lol

Lol - nope. I rarely take on jobs like this. You always uncover too much crap and people never want to pay coz its only some pipes.

No offense to OP btw.

Sorry for the delay i was trying to upload the layout pictures

I do not expecting anyone to do this for me in any way it is my project and i want to do it.

Would i give free advise 100% i always do i love sharing my experiences and hopefully it helps others i have a webpage dedicated to sharing information

I have set this post up for everyone to look at like all internet information take it at face value and do your research.

Thanks everyone for your comments its all good.

Regards

Richard

I would never ask someone to take on this sort of project on Professional or otherwise for me.

It is something i want to do as a project.

I moved in the house 3 years ago and the old plumbing is a mess and i want to remove it all and reinstall a new clean layout.

I will 100% guarantee that I will do this. it will work how i intend it to, and i will share all my experiences with you all good and bad and hopefully some may enjoy the read.

Thanks

Richard

Into IT for work you mean

No not at work i work in engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to DIY Project To Zone My House in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock