Search the forum,

Discuss DIY Gas Fitting in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuzzy take your point. In the last 7 years I have fitted several heating systems, I have always left the connections with gas to those who are so called qualified I only say this because some of the work done was not as good as I had amagined it would be. How do you define competent, its questionable I beleive I am competent but in order to be 100% sure I did mention in my link that a would getting an enginner if I were to do the job. I can't find an engineer that is able to give a realistic price, quotes of 1300 - 2300 pounds are ridiculas especially when the materials are less the 200 pounds...... Wish I never asked for help in the first place

Shall we say it again. Competence= Someone who has the relevant training, qualification and experience, to carry the work out safely in accordance with the gas safety (installation & use regulations) and the relevant standards which apply to the work being undertaken.

Fuzzy take your point. In the last 7 years I have fitted several heating systems, I have always left the connections with gas to those who are so called qualified I only say this because some of the work done was not as good as I had amagined it would be. How do you define competent, its questionable I beleive I am competent but in order to be 100% sure I did mention in my link that a would getting an enginner if I were to do the job. I can't find an engineer that is able to give a realistic price, quotes of 1300 - 2300 pounds are ridiculas especially when the materials are less the 200 pounds...... Wish I never asked for help in the first place

Corgi? Isn't that for electricians? U make the joints, they leak in 5 years time due to workmanship errors.

Your not competent ! Are you doing any of this for financial gain? If so your a very naughty man!

It is illegal for you to affect any fitting or appliance connection or vessel involves in the supply of gas for financial gain if you are not a gas safe registered engineer.

You do your own electrics too?

More importantly how long did it take you to qualify , what equipment do you need , how often does it have to be calibrated , what so you spend yearly on insurance and training ?

saw a yacht explode a few years back caused by an lpg leak, severe burns all round for those onboard and two of them breathed in the flames, very nasty results for them, and the rottweiller was severely narked off at losing most off his fur!

Look, I don't know who you think you are pr-k, your comments aren't constructive and warrant this reply. I get the point, your all would rather I get ripped off, I get it.. let face with ripping people off how would you survive. I came to this forum for advice, not to be slated by idiots like you. This thread is closed. Thank you

Corgi? Isn't that for electricians? U make the joints, they leak in 5 years time due to workmanship errors.

Your not competent ! Are you doing any of this for financial gain? If so your a very naughty man!

It is illegal for you to affect any fitting or appliance connection or vessel involves in the supply of gas for financial gain if you are not a gas safe registered engineer.

You do your own electrics too?

Actually the thread isn't closed

And ok going to risk this. But there is no need to call a regular contributor names. And if we are going to be clear about this I think your the *****.

Please don't do any gas fitting for anyone or yourself. You don't realise the amount of danger you are exposing everyone to

Gas safe is there for a reason and the cost of the job is for a reason

People still die with registered engineers around but this is mainly due to unregistered engineers working on gas

Look, I don't know who you think you are pr-k, your comments aren't constructive and warrant this reply. I get the point, your all would rather I get ripped off, I get it.. let face with ripping people off how would you survive. I came to this forum for advice, not to be slated by idiots like you. This thread is closed. Thank you

Temper temper! Don't stress croppie or one of our lovely suuuuuuper mods will close it shortly.

He is no longer welcome. And the thread is staying open.

One day he'll learn you can't put a price on safety.

He is no longer welcome. And the thread is staying open.

One day he'll learn you can't put a price on safety.

Thank god for that

Truly shocking and there is no need for the abuse. The guys on here are professionals and for the best part know what there talking about. We often get people who ask for professional advice and we give the answers they require. It is most disrespectfully to ask the question get the answer and then want to argue that its wrong.

The surgeon that did a hernia for me used a scalpel, needle and thread. He was happy with my cheque for £36 which included at £20 tip.

This fool clearly thinks he know better. Installed a few heating systems in my time. Ha. Ive hit a few golf balls in my time.

Ignorance is bliss.

Last edited:
Quote>This fool clearly thinks he know better. Installed a few heating systems in my time. Ha. Ive hit a few golf balls in my time.

Ignorance is bliss.<Quote: Yes I've hit a few golf balls in my time to, lost most of them, broken a few windows but fortunately did not kill anyone. The golf club suggested I had some tuition (training qualification and experience).

Idiot has a master degree, 15 years experience and has managed the safety and constructive workforce on about £600 million pounds worth of construction projects.

You have endangered people, abused those who offered advice and pretty much justified the expression " a little knowledge is dangerous in wrong hands".

Pretty much why gas fittings and associated materials should only ever be sold to a badge holder .

Haha I cannae believe I missed this whole thread, I could have given him pelters as well, although to be fair you all managed fine without me

I remember speaking to an old corgi inspector. His reply to DIY gas work in your own home was that it was a grey area?! And that an Englishman's home is his castle. Views have definitely changed since. Competent = some who hold the relevant GS registration and ACS assessments

Gas pipe blanking off

I am a retired coppersmith with vast experience of pipe work in industry. I want to blank off a 15mm gas pipe in my own home. Can I do this legally or does this need certificating?

With out reading this entire thread, this question has probably been already answered, so apologies for this. The gas safety (installation & use) regulations apply to everyone weather DIY or not. Reg 3 requires any one who carries out gas work to be competent to do so. This can only be demonstrated by someone who has relevant training and experience for the work undertaken. So an ACS qualification is a good marker to prove competence. So most DIY'ers would have difficulty proving competence and therefore could be seen in a court of law to have contravened the regulations.

I am a retired coppersmith with vast experience of pipe work in industry. I want to blank off a 15mm gas pipe in my own home. Can I do this legally or does this need certificating?

With out reading this entire thread, this question has probably been already answered, so apologies for this. The gas safety (installation & use) regulations apply to everyone weather DIY or not. Reg 3 requires any one who carries out gas work to be competent to do so. This can only be demonstrated by someone who has relevant training and experience for the work undertaken. So an ACS qualification is a good marker to prove competence. So most DIY'ers would have difficulty proving competence and therefore could be seen in a court of law to have contravened the regulations.

So to sum up RM,

No.

Don't mind me while I bump some threads in the [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/plumbing-forum/"]plumbing forum[/DLMURL] category. This thread might not be a current topic, if it isn't, just let it drop off the list.

If you DO want to reply to it, go ahead, that's fine. Your post might add some value to the thread and help newer members in the future.

Last edited:
Don't mind me while I reply to a few of the threads. We need the new thread pages to be picked up correctly. If this thread isn't current, just visit the plumbing forum and post your own new thread or checkout the other existing threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to DIY Gas Fitting in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock