Search the forum,

Discuss Disconnect external frost protection? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

My boiler was kind of new & installed last year July, I know there's build-in frost protection.

Also, there's an old external frost protection (attached photo) that the engineer did not disconnect it when installed the new boiler. I wonder if I need to disconnect/get rid of the old external frost protection?

The reason I asked is, since the boiler has built-in frost protection already, it will prevent the boiler from being frozen. Also, as my boiler is installed in garage where has no heat there in winter. Last year in a very cold day, even after morning CH was on for two hours, after that the boiler started again to operate when timer off! i.e. when timer was off, the zone valve for HW opened, and boiler in action for nearly 4 hours as no heat in garage until middle day the temperature went up.

Recently as the weather is getting cold again, I don't want the boiler starts to operate when we all go out for work/school. Our CH set for 1hour in the early morning, but after that, the temperature outside can still be -5C or -6C which means in the garage the temperature will be very low---this will trigger the external frost protection into action---then the boiler will be on for HW (our external frost protection is connected to HW).

So, can I disconnect the external frost protection? This will no bad effect? With build-in frost protection is enough for boiler?

Thanks for your opinion!

Attachments

• froststat.jpeg
    froststat.jpeg
    183.2 KB · Views: 1
I wouldn’t leaving it on frost protection is far cheaper than a frozen boiler or a pipe bursting

I wouldn’t leaving it on frost protection is far cheaper than a frozen boiler or a pipe bursting
Thank you for your point!
Did you mean you wouldn't disconnect the external frost protection and you will keep it?

This will mean even if the boiler, say in the morning, has been running for 2 hours, then once timer is off, we all go out, the boiler may start itself as it is in garage, as long as the garage temperature is low, the boiler will start no matter how hot the water inside the boiler already, am I right?

Correct what type of boiler do you have ? Combi heat only etc

Correct what type of boiler do you have ? Combi heat only etc
My boiler is Worcester Bosch Greenstar, it is not Combi, it works with a hot water Tank.

So you reckon my below situation is normal and people have this happens as well?

"This will mean even if the boiler, say in the morning, has been running for 2 hours, then once timer is off, we all go out, the boiler may start itself as it is in garage, as long as the garage temperature is low, the boiler will start no matter how hot the water inside the boiler already, am I right"

Ri then

You should have a pipe stat in combination with the frost stat in the garage and yes very common seen a few boilers freeze up and split because they haven’t / people have turned them down to 0

Ri then

You should have a pipe stat in combination with the frost stat in the garage and yes very common seen a few boilers freeze up and split because they haven’t / people have turned them down to 0
I checked you are based in North Wales? Too far from where I am unfortunately otherwise I will just get you to do the job...
Would you please give a bit explanation for "a pipe stat in combination with the frost stat in the garage"?
Thanks in advance!

Reply to Disconnect external frost protection? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few seconds! Can anyone tell me what is causing this? And how to cure?
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock