Search the forum,

Discuss Dipolma and NVQ provider in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Simon Smith

Hi all, been lurking on the forum for a few months while I look at my options for a career in the plumbing industry. while lurking I have seen lots of different people asking question regarding the diploma and the NVQ and I have seen plenty of replies about looking at older posts to stop duplication of information, I am yet to see anything on here about yet (my apologies if I am wrong) about the provider of the qualification once training has been completed.

I am considering completing my Diploma (tech cert) with a company called southwest construction academy in Bristol they provide at home learning for the theory stuff with exams at their base, this suits me while I try to juggle learning for a new carer while keeping up with mortgage payments then moving on to complete my NVQ working for free alongside my current employment

They have told me that there Diploma and NVQ is provided by BPEC not C&G does this matter for future employment?

has anyone heard of Southwest construction Academy in Bristol are they any good?

thanks for any help in advance

Simon

It shouldn't do Simon as both schemes have to meet the same standards however you may find yourself having to explain to each prospective employer this fact.

IMHO the BPEC is likely to be much better as I think C&G have lost the plot over the years & the only reason they have survived is because of the name.

I don't know anything about Southwest Construction Academy but just stop a second & think about how you are being asked to learn this very complex trade. You say you are going to learn the theory first at some training centre then at some point in the future you hope to learn the practical side in-between your current employment!

Learning a trade doesn't work like that how are you going to either apply or remember this interconnected theory to the practical side month or years after you have been taught it?

My advice is don't waste your money, find something else to do.

Hi Simon,

Both are based on the same national standards so would be deemed equal. City and guilds are still the major provider and widely recognised in industry.
Feel free to do your own research into each product by looking at their websites or contacting them

Still here, still lurking! Thanks for those of you that gave me advice, I am still going to pursue plumbing and I am now doing some work experince with a local firm on my days off with future plans to complete my NVQ in the future. Really enjoying the work and learning loads!

Good stuff, that is a much better way IMHO.

Just don't be tempted do the opposite to what you said in the first case i.e. just the practical side.
It can be very temping after a few years to think "I know this job I can do everything that the guys I work along side can do so why I do I need to go to college"

It is the old adage "you don't know what you don't know" & believe me there is a hell of a lot to know in plumbing.

Best of luck Lurcio, Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Dipolma and NVQ provider in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock