Search the forum,

Discuss Difficult condensate drain placement. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, this is my first post. I'm having a replacement boiler installed on Friday on an outside wall of my First floor flat. I'm pretty handy with normal plumbing and other basic building skills. A GSR plumber is installing and commissioning the new boiler but to save cash I'm removing the old stuff and getting the wall, water pipes etc ready. I've talked over the condensate drain with the plumber and the options are sparse.

1./ Run it in 40mm pvc around the outside of the house and pick up the sink drain. This run would be 4m along one wall and 2m along the next before joining the 50mm sink waist which goes a further 8m to get to the soil stack. The location is very sheltered but freezing is the obvious concern.

2./ Run it vertically straight down the wall to a soak away. The problem here is that the property boundary is only 450mm from the wall. I could encroach on the neighbouring property a little as the boundary is un marked but I run the risk of getting close to their gas, water, electric, and draining supply.

3./ Run it under the floor a distance of 4m to come out on the opposite wall 2m from the soil stack. The most difficult option and the 4m inside whould be level.

My question is, Which is the best of a bad selection? The plumber recommends 1. With an air gap near where the condensate first goes outside so it can overflow if the pipe freezes.

Your views?

bTW there is no where else for the boiler to go.

Last edited:
Hope you're not removing the old boiler.

Your gsr will be aware of the best route as he will be the one responsible if it all goes wrong.

Hope you're not removing the old boiler.

Your gsr will be aware of the best route as he will be the one responsible if it all goes wrong.

He has already caped of the gas for me to remove what's left and brick up the hole. By "best route do you mean the 14m run around the outside of the house?
If in 5 years time it's frozen solid during a real cold snap and I can't get hold of him whose problem will it be then?

Last edited:
Could use a condensate pump and run a small clear polythene tube internally to drainage Google it worth a look if your stuck

By "best route do you mean the 14m run around the outside of the house?
If in 5 years time it's frozen solid during a real cold snap and I can't get hold of him whose problem will it be then?

I would let the installer decide the best route. If you want to run the pipework, fine but do it on his instructions, preferably in writing. He is the one with the training and knowledge of regs. More importantly perhaps, he has the public liability insurance!

Whereabouts in the country are you? It is very unlikely that condensate would freeze in a 40mm pipe and there are other methods to protect against freezing..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Difficult condensate drain placement. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock