Search the forum,

Discuss Diamond Core Drill in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pt44

Hi

I fit bathrooms and kitchens sometimes - but not full time (I have other sources of income). I don't often have to drill cores, but when I do I usually hire a drill and bits from my local tool place. Last time I had a Hitachi DC120V - 240v. Was superb.

Thing is its obviously inconvenient sometimes to hire. Time taken to get it and take it back etc.

So, I'm keeping my eye out for an alternative. The Makita 8406 seems to get many a good review. Looks identical to the Hitachi DC120V. Both quite short machines - but had loads of power. I have also used a friends Metabo core drill - lots. Its a total pain. Very powerful but always wants to rip your hands off and slap you in the face. I was tempted by the Sparky's I have a mixer by them and they make solid tools. However, their core drill looks like the Metabo - and I'm wary of it suffering the same traits.

Then - there's the DeWalt D21570K
[h=1][/h]This seems like a totally different design to any other core drill I've seen. I wondered if anyone has one or has tried one. I trust DeWalt as a brand and although the design is more normal drill than the usual core drill shape - I wonder if it works well.

I'm unlikely to buy new - as I simply cannot justify the price of any of them. So am keeping my eye on ebay for good quality second hand or discounted one's.

Thanks Paul

CORE DRILLS AT SPECIAL PRICES FOR FORUM MEMBERS - CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE DRILL SELECTION.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the DeWalt D21570K, awesome bit of kit and makes short work of any core's to drill. Has 2 speed gearbox so you can adjust it when drilling small upto 52mm (i think) and large 127mm.
More powerful than the makita as it's 1300 watts and the an auto safety clutch so you don't go spinning when hitting wall ties :santa_smiley:

Makita I find are the best core dills, I use the Makita 8406, had it a few years now and still does th job like new. Dont rate there normal sds drills though, burn them out in no time.

Last edited:
Thanks mikey - so the clutch on the DeWalt works nicely yes? Have you used the larger cores with it - like 110mm, 127mm - does it handle them with ease.

Paul

I use the milwaukee core drill the electronic clutch disengages without the drill flinching, Best bit of kit i've bought

i have used the dewalt and took nearly 2 hours doing a flue hole through ordinary/engineering brick, hard dirty work it was.

it dosnt matter what drill it is the important thing is the core drills.

Pt44 I use mainly the larger core's as I drill a few flue holes. It handles smoothly and is pretty quick and efficient even at these sizes, let the drill do the work though and don't be tempted to apply excess pressure when drilling.

my makita has done me proud today and breezed through my 5" flue holes with ease. I had a dewalt core drill once and sold it after 3 weeks and went back to makita. Either way dont waste money on cheap bits, poor bits make a good drill look bad.

i have used the dewalt and took nearly 2 hours doing a flue hole through ordinary/engineering brick, hard dirty work it was.

it dosnt matter what drill it is the important thing is the core drills.

Hi Redsaw

Its not that clear from your post what you actually thought of the DeWalt. Was it the 21570k model I mentioned? I know they do a few. But its particularly that model that intrigues me, due to its alternative design (compared to other core drills).

Although I agree with what you are saying about the actual Core Drill being important. I cannot agree that the Drilling machine doesn't matter. Have a go with my friends Metabo and have your wrist sprained and be slapped in the face when it spins around on you. I think the drilling machine being used is Vitally important. Which is why I don't want to buy one and regret it.

I am presuming that the Makita has a pretty good clutch in it that disengages if the core gets stuck?

Same goes for the DeWalt. I am presuming from its description that it also disengages when the core gets struck.

That's the type of protection I would like/need. I am sure the Hilti's and Milwaukees are superb at this - however, for the amount I will use it I cannot justify the cost of either. Hence, I'm still keeping my eyes open for the other two at around the £50-150 range. But can't make up my mind which is better. Hard to tell without using them both.

pt44, as with most question asked around here you'll get lots of answer all saying different things! most of the new drills all come with a clutch. the makita's seam to go on and on! could you not test a couple out next time your at the hire center?

I'm also thinking about getting that £180 quid Dewalt, and I agree it is considerably smaller than a regular core drill. Is it up to the job?

The £139.99 Sparkys at Screwfix are still out of stock as they've been for weeks now, I check every day and they never have any.

What was that? Someone is about to slag off the Sparky I can feel it......

If you are going to be drilling flue cores expect to spend over £100 on a decent core bit.
A decent machine will be £300 - £800

The rest will all do what they say..............................eventually.
Depends what and how often you are drilling and how much you value your time.

Update - I bought the DeWalt D21570 on ebay, from a shop. £147 inc vat and postage, for a reconditioned one 240v (factory reconditioned - with 1 year warranty). They still have a 110v available as well, last time I looked. Arrived quickly 2 days. Also got a set of core bits went for Marcrist Turbolite. I seem to remember Marcrist have a pretty good name in drilling bits and diamond stuff. Came in 2 days as well, another ebay shop, paid £106 for the set of 5 cores. Very good value I thought.

Tried it out yesterday. Only a small core through an outer wall. Wow. Superb! That drill has a hell of a lot of power, you can feel the torque as soon as you pull the trigger. I love the shape of the drill, somehow fits in my hands far better than the normal core drill shape handle. This just feels comfortable. Drill feels solid and you can tell the housing is solidly built. Easy to change speeds as well, for the larger or smaller cores. Plus hammer mode. The chuck is 16mm and is enormous. Really lovely chuck. Its so big that it feels solid when you tighten it with the key, feels over sized, but I like that. Core drilled out faster than any core I've ever done. But, it was a small core and the drill bit was brand new, so not exactly a good test. But certainly not a disappointment. I'll try and remember to report back once I've drilled with the larger cores. The Dewalt has a nice solid feeling case and is actually really small in the case. Surprisingly so. My friends Metabo is a beast of a core drill, its enormous, this thing is more like a cordless drill. Another plus point for me, small tools are easier to cram in the car. the Marcrist also has a nice black case, with wheels and a pull out handle if needed. Though I doubt I'd ever need to use that. Its not that heavy to carry.

Paul

So can it be used as a normal drill aswell?, is this why it has hammer action albiet non SDS hammer action?

Yes I presume so. I presume the hammer action is there so that you can drill a pilot hole first with a separate drill. Useful backup drill as it has this facility.

I use a £25 240v Powerplus (B&Q) SDS Drill for coreing. So far on this drill ive cored around 40 holes. Average drilling time, circa 30 mins.

Buy a good one and cut the time down to 5 mins or less for a std 11" wall.
30 minutes would core a 30" stone wall.

30mins! I can do a cavity wall flue core in five mins with marcrist gold and even a Bosch normal heavy duty ads drill

My 24v Hitachi and Marcrist bits will get me through a 9" in no time - pleasantly surprised the first time I used it.

Lent the bits to a sparky at a house and heard him using the bloody thing on hammer. Never again.

recently bought the marcrist DDM 2, you can get a new one for £250 on ebay, powerful machine. as yet still using cheaper core bits, cant go the whole hog at once

what about this? is this any good? if so, il buy it tomorrow!

http://www.scr ew f ix .com/p/dewalt-d25123k-gb-2kg-sds-plus-hammer-drill-230v/27907#
let me know, or link me with a shop that I could get tomorrow! My guns terrible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends what you want to do with it. The dewalt sds gun will be good for most general drilling and a bit chiseling. Bit light for driving cores but it will do it if you take your time.

If you want a gun to do cores the D21570 is a decent cheap one. It works as an ordinary hammer drill too.

ces this is in manchester eh, im in glasgow and need to pick one up tomorrow my normal one packed.. what one do hire companys give u

Usually hilti's or the big dewalts. Sometimes they do the smaller makitas with the 1/2" chuck. If you are in a hire shop ask them what they are selling. Usually they have stuff for sale too, sometimes reconditioned ones that are a good buy.

There is a machine mart on great western road. They have a decent range of stuff or there is a toolstop out at uddingston. Better choice than s crew fix.

Sorry Mate, didn't realise you needed it asap

I see Screwfix have some of the Sparkys in stock now, £139 for 1100W or £179 for 1250W. Can't help thinking the 850W Makita is more powerful though as I've used both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Diamond Core Drill in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Can anyone recommend a decent multi meter, preferably under a 100 pounds. It's for checking boiler components so I don't need a top spec one ....just easy to use and reliable. The fluke 115 looks good but its above my budget. My current socket and see one was great but it's developed a fault.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock