Search the forum,

Discuss DHW on a drained system? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
As per the heading, i wanted to ask is it possible to still use a boiler if for example the CH water out and in were both isolated at the boiler? I know we are not suppose to ask about boiler repairs etc unless you are GSR qualified, however this isnt a repair as such.
What i would like to do is remove all the central heating radiator from the house so that i can decorate behind them, paper, paint and add a radiator reflector etc
Also while theyre off, flush them out in the garden with a hose.The system has X400 in it at the moment :)
I know one possible way would be to isolate all the radiators at the valves, however i would like to avoid this if possible as last weekend i tried this on the one fitted at the downstairs landing and as i think they were both seized, because as soon as i turned them water started to come out of them regardless of whether i closed them back up or not. (I moved into this property with my brother around 10 years ago and a long story short he has moved out now so ive taken the steps to make changes and improvements.)
So i popped into screwfix and purchased a pair of lockshield valves to replace the leaking ones (after draining the system) only to find i had to change the radiator tails!
I managed to change one however the other tail snapped midway screwing it in. In the end i took the radiator off and took it to my dads MOT centre (more a mot lol! j/k) we ended up using a hacksaw blade to make a slight incision in the screwhead so that we could knock it around and out with a screwdriver. In the end it came out, flushed the radiator and fitted the new valves. So you can see, how im kind scared from this experience!!
Basically i was thinking, isolate the CHW In and Out with some valves near the boiler (get someone to fit them) and maintain the pressure? Not sure if this will work.
I could drain the whole system and work on the walls behind the radiators but might take me a couple of days or so, which will mean no DHW.
Also the other question i would like to ask is, i am looking to fit a filter as there was never one installed when we moved in. We have Ariston MicroCombi 23.
I know a filter of choice is subjective however all i seem to find is the following:
MagnaClean - Leak issues
Fernox TF1 - Leak Issues
Spirotrap MB3 - Doesnt come with isolation valves.
Sentinal Elimantor and Nano Elimnator - not much information available.
I dont want to spend too much as i would like to replace the boiler at some stage seiing as tho this is an old combi boiler over 10 years old. I was leaning towards a Sentinal Nano as i could probably pick one up cheap. Your thoughts?
I could post a pic of the pipes from my boiler if it would help answer my questions.
Thanks guys :)

Sorry to say no as it needs a rad to dump heat / flow into

Can't fit ISO valves to the main flow and return sorry

TBH I wouldn't bother with a filter as the boiler would be at the worse case (no benefit to fitting a filter)

Sorry I forgot to ask, any reason why I shouldn't install a filter on it?
It's been serviced regularly and works like clockwork, obv I want to try and prolong its life as much as I can

Sorry I forgot to ask, any reason why I shouldn't install a filter on it?
It's been serviced regularly and works like clockwork, obv I want to try and prolong its life as much as I can

wont help it now only help the new boiler when its installed so get it put on when you decide to have a new boiler

heat exchanger is already dirty

Ok I see what you mean.
So I guess using a chemical such as x400 or x800 etc would be pointless.

wont harm and will clean your rads

On a side note, what if I got the heat exchanger replaced? Would it be worth getting a filter installed then? I've heard parts for these boilers are quite cheap

You can pick up a rolled lead hex for that boiler for about £220 + GSR labour on top.
So approx total £320 - £350 ish. But why bother mate. The money would be better spent put towards a new boiler rather than on a 10yr+ old boiler. But fit a magnaclean if you do decide to change the Hex. Then it's there for when it packs up alltogether & you are ready for the new boiler. If your flushing your rads out dont forget to put a decent inhibitor back in the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to DHW on a drained system? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
My daughter's place has a small water leak on a ground floor radiator valve. The radiator pipework is small diameter.i.e 8 or 10 mm. A plumber is coming back in a day or so to make necessary repairs. I am a little concerned as the house has a Boilermate 2000 on the upper floor and the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need to drain my vokera 29 boiler in the attic as Im going away for 4 weeks at least to make sure there are no frozen pipes. In my small 3rd floor flat, I have a radiator in the front room and one in the hall (very close to each other), there is a drainage valve on one of these. My back...
Replies
Views
Hi I have recently bought a house which is 17 years old. There was a small leak from one of the radiators So I took the pipe off and drained the radiator and the water was black/brown. I took the radiator off and flushed it out with a hose pipe out the garden but it's got me thinking and I...
Replies
Views
I want to swap a K1 radiator with a P+, the same size on a combi system. Can i turn off both valves, remove the existing radiator, put the new one on the existing brackets, and reconnect the existing valves, and then top up. Would draining the entire system be necessary? If draining is not...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello Plumbers I’ve replaced a 540mm high cast iron rad with 740mm high, like for like but still a 20mm valve extension was required. All was ok until I've spotted a v small leak (like 1 drip per hour) between the valve nut and extension piece. So I suspect I just need more PTFE + compound...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock