Search the forum,

Discuss design: in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MJF

I am designing and installing a wood burner fired back boiler central heating and hot water system up a mountain in Spain (hence no professionals in sight). The 2d plan is attached, it does not show going round corners but it does show the changes in height, is it ok?
The hot water tank will shut off when the temp has been reached,
If there is a power cut will the pump block the flow of a heat syphon? If the power fails should I worry the boiler will blow? I presume my cistern running into the hot directly above the stove should work as a vent? or do I need a second vent off the other hot outlet from the back boiler. (Back boiler has 2 cold in and 2 hot out). I have been told the boiler should take probably 3 or 4 kw out of the system
Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Central Heating small.jpg
    Central Heating small.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 29
Hi MJf. I would like to comment but the information supplied is a little sketchy. What i will say is if you are expecting gravity circulation to radiators one story above the boiler you will need to use pipe work of at the very least 1" ID. to perform this task. For rads on the same level unless fitted half way up the wall, little chance of sufficient circulation on gravity. Open venting solid fuel appliances is very important. Good Luck

Hi! Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, I will have a pump on the system, on the diagram it's just below the boiler. I have only one pump and all the flow back to the boiler goes via the pump, should I have a bypass?
I have two hot out's from the boiler going off in different directions, should I vent them both or is one outlet vented sufficient?
Thanks again for your help

that system is potentially dangerous and totally inefficent.

Will travel to spain for flight /food/beer money to do it for you ;)

Reading between the lines I take it that I need to vent both outlets from the boiler to avoid the potential danger and fill into the cold to improve the efficiency.
Is there more to do to improve efficiency? i.e. Is a one 'ring circuit'-like system better than the branched rings method I am using in the diagram? Would this improve efficiency?
Cheers for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to design: in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock