Search the forum,

Discuss Damned modern close coupled toilet !! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
lotssssssssssss of silicone haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,lotssssssssssssssssssss haaaaaaaaaaaaaa lotsssssssssssssss:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I agree with you Avatar but I do tend to put a small smear of Water Hawk on the siphon seal had a few which were a but uneven on the inside of the cistern. Never use anything on compression fittings waste of time. This Q plumb bloke must take ages to fit a bog waiting for half a tube of silicone aka fixes everything to go off.

oh get off your high horse lad! this q-plumb bloke is quite a polite lad who doesnt sit behind his computer slagging other peoples methods off who obviously does things different, each to there own i say.... where did i say i use half a tub of silicone or are you just insinuating that i am bodging something? and if i am fitting a w.c then i do the cistern internals and as im sorting pipework or getting pan ready etc it goes off by timje its all fitted and ready to turn water on! the little bit of silicone i have smeared over the washers has skinned over so its fine to fill up.

I will try it next time without the silicone as a few of you do it and have no problems so if it works then great... i served my time with a one man band and immediately started my own firm up.... so if i you done it your way and i or others havent then each to there own - dont sit behind your computer and take the **** lad - this site is not about that... its about helping each other out.

i have NEVER used silicone on any part of a pan or cistern, occasionally with a leak on the donut washer i have used plumbers mait, i think it is usually down to a poor casting on the pan stopping the donut sealing 100%, as someone said earlier i find more problems if they have been over tightened, there is absolutely no need to silicone a ballcock into a cistern, your ears must be burning when someone has to change a ballvalve or a syphon after you have siliconed them together

whenever ive gone to change a syphon or ball valve in cistern its always been siliconed - i just pop my blade out of my knife and scrape it off its never stuck tight or damages the cistern... i dont see the big deal with it kirk - perhaps im missing something - next time i do a wc i'll try it all just relying on the washers though cos obviously its easier this way and less mess, just to see how it goes.

on my first w.c i was shown to do it this way by a very succesful plumber round our way and have done it with a smear of silicone ever since on both the rubber washer on the inlet valve and the rubber washer on the syphon - but if i dont have to do this then thats great, i'll try it next time...

Last edited by a moderator:
I was taught to use silicone but one of the guys I've worked for. But recently, for reasons best known to myself I stopped bothering and trusted it to luck. And so far, no probs. But I've probably done 15 in my life, whereas he'd done 100's. So maybe after a few annoyances I'll go back to it.

dont sit behind your computer and take the **** lad - this site is not about that... its about helping each other out.

It's 95% about helping each other out. And 5% about condeming anyone who asks a question that may seem elementary to someone else or admit to practises that aren't the established routes as a cowboy, work-thieving, what-is-the-world-coming-to, fast-tracking, no-good, how-dare-they-not-do-a-5-year-apprenticeship-like-i-had-to-even-though-there-are-none-around, plumber-from-hell, son-of-a-gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Damned modern close coupled toilet !! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock