Discuss Daikin HT system heat pump errors in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mibarkway

Hello there...

I have two Altherma high temp heat pumps (16kW & 14kW) that trip out every few days. Our installer did start looking at it and gave me some waffle about blocked strainers, but then we had a 'disagreement' about charges for some other work blah-blah-blah and more or less I'm now left with it...

Here is my log since December, but its reasonably typical:

9 Dec -16kW unit E3-12 'Indoor unit HT High pressure'
22 Dec - Both units E3-12
0 Dec – 16kW unit A6 'Indoor unit HT: Water pump error'
3 Jan – 14kW unit code AE displayed but unit still online

Set up (in a nutshell) is: two Daikins directly feeding two UFH manifolds, a couple of rads and a HW tank (not the Daikin one), all via zone valves. Its a retrofit, replacing a stove/electric boiler/H2 panel, which was a work of art in itself...

It worked Ok through the summer (HW only) so I was dreaming that I had fixed it, but apart from that brief respite, we have been resetting them for the last year. I thought it might be to do with pumping into closed zone valves (since there's no 3-way, so a dead-end is possible), but I have excluded that. My current thinking is air, since the nearest rad gurgles a lot so I am about to add an extra air release valve (and a mag filter while I am there, since it should have one of those too and doesn't)

It would be helpful if the fault codes were a little more consistent. I have been working under the assumption that the problem is related to water flow somehow, but without inside knowledge of those mysterious grey boxes its a bit hit and miss. Well, miss mostly as it turns out..

I clear the strainers from time to time, which do have bits of crud in them, but nothing that would really stop the flow. I'm happy to get my fingers dirty for anything on the water-side of the system. I've been reading a bit on here about low-loss headers and I'm beginning to wonder if the system should really have one (or two..?), but that's a big knife and fork job that I'd prefer to avoid if I could.

Anyway, was wondering if the fault codes pointed to anything in particular, if I am barking up completely the wrong tree there's a much simpler solution, or if anyone had a few tips that could help.

Thanks,

Michael

As its a retro fit the heat exchanger (condensor) could be contaminated with no magnetic filter fitting one now would no cure the problem if that's what it is

Thanks Quality,

Yup - I agree that my system may be royally shafted by my installer failing to fit one of these, but I am ever an optimist, and I do think that if this were the case, then the error code might be more consistent.

I spoke to a helpful dude at Daikin (which I should have done a while back, duh). The errors are all related to water flow (which I sort-of knew) and he recommends a low-loss header + secondary pump. That's a big old job, which I'm Ok to do, but I'm thinking it will take a couple of days, so it might not be the right time of year to do it... I probably need some help sizing the LLH too, since its not ordinarily a DIY sorta job.

Going to have a quiet think about it...

Thanks,

Michael

Are they the Monobloc units or the split units?

Have some info on both but prefer to know which units you have

Its the high temp system, so split with two colossal internal units...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Daikin HT system heat pump errors in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back