Search the forum,

Discuss Cutting into a cast iron soil stack in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
Any ideas on the quickest and best way of cutting into a cast iron soil stack. I know it is going to take a while but have never done it before and have been told it will take a while. So would like advice on the best tools and best way to do it.

Many thanks

Paul

I tend to use a grinder cutting out in sections ensuring that the weight above is well supported. Also make sure that as little as possible goes down the lower section to avoid blockage. Finally ensure you have something sturdy to stand on also as my mates grinder nearly yanked him off a ladder when it caught on the pipe

Cast Iron pipe cutters.

If you don't own a set - see if you can loan, borrow or steal a set.
No mess, no grinding and a clean cut.

[DLMURL]https://www.speedyservices.com/17_0181-h-pipe-cutter-cast-iron-12in[/DLMURL]
Hire a set !!
Safe way to cut it.
Take links out & will cut 3,3.5,4 & 6"

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at original post I think he wants to cut into the cast not cut it out I use a starrrett cutter on slow speed no oil or cutting compound only water sprayed on whilst cutting...regards Turnpin:smile5:

RIDGID cast chain cutter, wish I had not sold mine, but never likely to use one again as I push pens and keys mainly now.

Hi

thanks for your help. I need to cut a hole in the pipe to fit an inch and a quarter pipe. Is there a specific drill bit for this

Paul

Lenox bi metal hole saw with rigid cutting compound sprayed on every 30 seconds

I put a 54mm (ish) holesaw through a cast stack the other day.

With an erbauer scukux special holesaw.

Slowish speed plenty of oil (I only had wd40 on me and not a decent cutting oil)

And hey presto.

jaby7ema.jpg
8u8yra4u.jpg

Easy peasy

I used to use the botch quick release ones. No longer ! As I drilled through it quickly released itself down the stack !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cutting into a cast iron soil stack in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I need a quote to replace a soil stack ( cast ) in Leyton e10. The stack is already in plastic at the bottom. There also needs to be amendment to branch to accomodate a change of position of the bathroom in the upstairs flat. BTW - this is one up/ one down flat arrangment. There is access to...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, few years off doing the work but I like to plan. Can a soil stack be rerouting away from the house, over an extension roof? Reason to avoid internal stack from ceiling to floor. Quickest 30second sketch attached. I'd presume any horizontal would have to have the appropriate fall, new...
Replies
Views
Hi I need to this cast iron pipe back as my new back to wall toilet won’t fit otherwise. Cutting it back i am going to lose the collar. So what fitting can I get for it I would like a flex as it will easier for me when installing the new toilet
Replies
Views
Hi Oracles of all things plumbing, I have to replace a cast iron soil stack which is simple enough, done a few up here in Scotland, however, client wants to retain the 3" toilet waste as he does not want an enlarged hole making in a newly rendered wall, which 110 to 75mm fitting is best? trying...
Replies
Views
Hi, I live in a house that is 20yr old. There is a single soil stack running from the top floor (of three) through the first floor bathroom and then through the kitchen to the drains. A while back I started to hear a drip hitting the kitchen ceiling (now with some ceiling evidence too) from...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock