Search the forum,

Discuss Customer couldn't find a plumber to stop the leak through the ceiling so did this. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonlight

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I went to look at a job the other week. Customer said the had a leak in the airing cupboard. There was a nut he wanted me to tighten.

Flow and return on coil leaking but not from the compression fitting. The cylinder was damaged. I said he needed new cylinder. He also said he had a leak in the airing cupboard above the cylinder. I could see why overflow not even glued. I said do you mind if I take a look in the roof space. One not glued joint could be more.

He said he had stopped the leak with a bit of tinkering in the roof space. Can you imagine the shock I had when I saw this.
2016-09-23 09.40.35.jpg

20160816_101433.jpg

Lucky for him off the shelf cylinder, and all new section of overflow. One happy customer.

Crikey! That copper pipe joined to near the bottom of cwt is extremely angled. Maybe tank is being stressed, but photo not clear enough.
Pipes angled across the joists from around the f&e tank just always seems wrong to me, getting in the way and wasting space.
The vent into the f&e could have easily been piped a lot higher

They are hose pipes :D

everything was a bit strained. all sorted now :)

He had connected the feed to the F&E to the cold water storage, via his own connection, and the expansion for the F & E into the top of the cold water storage :eek:

On the plus side, - the timber below the f&e tank would support the weight of an elephant. At least something is good. :)

What's wrong with that? That'll be fine for years:p:p:eek::eek::eek::eek: only joking. Did you explain to him about messing with stuff like that? And that he would have done damage to himself and his property in the future? #whatgoesthroughpeoplesheads?

I suggested he should of kept trying to find a plumber before he did this. I explained he could have contaminated the cold water in the storage tank. At which point he climbed up a ladder and looked in. Perfectly clear he said. :D

You just can't explain to some people. Health, Dangers etc.

Last edited:
I knew you had been there before, the truth is out :p:p:p:D:D:D only joking.

That was a new build house, (part of a large development) where I was asked by the owner to try to fix loads of heating faults.
That was below the stairs when I opened the door to look for faulty motorised valve. Any builder and plumber doing work and leaving work like that has clearly no interest in doing proper work.
I did not do that work, nor would I do temporary work like that.:)

Oh!! a throw it together job :D. I don't get involved in any of that time of job.

Went to fit a new boiler in a house that was having a loft conversion a few years ago. When I looked at the hot water cylinder it was rocking about because the bottom of it was popped out. looked in the loft, storage tank had been removed, vent capped and feed pipe connected to the mains!!
Builder couldn't understand what I was wrong with it, he needed the tank out of the way

That's just the cock-ups with the water side, which is bad enough. I can imagine that some of the professionals on here see some very dangerous things on the gas side.

That was a new build house, (part of a large development) where I was asked by the owner to try to fix loads of heating faults.
That was below the stairs when I opened the door to look for faulty motorised valve. Any builder and plumber doing work and leaving work like that has clearly no interest in doing proper work.
I did not do that work, nor would I do temporary work like that.:)
new build with red and black cable? Colour harmonisation come in 2004-2006 so must of been before that.

new build with red and black cable? Colour harmonisation come in 2004-2006 so must of been before that.

Yes, that could be about from that time. I did say "was a new build". Photo I have just looked on iPhone to be taken on 21st June 2013, but that was a more recent time I was there.
I know the actual approximate year I first viewed that mess when looking for zone valves would have been around 10 years ago. (Edit, - just realised why I hadn't taken photos 10 years ago, - impossible, I didn't have an iPhone or any camera phone then). :)House was fairly new then, maybe 2 or 3, so probably built about 2005 or earlier I guess. (I had been working at that house from literally since it was built because owners didn't want the builders plumbers back in to fix the heating. )
Very observant of you!

Last edited:
Potterton Gold heat only, not a very nice boiler, but cheap and can't be wired for pump over run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Customer couldn't find a plumber to stop the leak through the ceiling so did this. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
My son moved to a new build home in Cornwall last November. Yesterday evening he found a quantity of water beneath the Ideal Combi boiler and a steady water drip from the boiler. After clearing up and putting a container beneath the boiler, he went to bed. This morning the water drip had...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the radiators but still gave hot water to the shower and taps. Naturally we thought there was a fault with the boiler. We had already arranged a yearly...
Replies
Views
Not sure what my options are here. Basically a friend of mine recommended his father in law to do our plumbing/gas work for our renovation. First job was to install a new boiler, and later install radiators, bathroom, kitchen, etc. The boiler was installed last September but not switched on as...
Replies
Views
We had the bathrooms replaced when we moved in 2 years ago. This involved 2x bathrooms and 1x WC. Within the first few weeks, we noticed leaking from the en-suite down into the reception room and the fitter promptly came and repaired it, it was something to do with the area under the sink. We...
Replies
Views
Hi I need some advice as this has been ongoing since august and nobody can find a problem but meantime water is damaging my walls. The lady upstairs had a plumber in July who relocated her washbasin shower and fitted a new radiator.He caused a bad leak and came to fix it in august and I thought...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock