Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Creaking Acrylic Bath in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. gmartine

gmartine GSR

It creaks because it flexes, it flexes because it probably isn't supported properly around it's perimeter. If that is the case it may break any sealant applied and that may cause leaks. Not wanting to overly worry you as it may not leak at all but the noise is not an indicator of a good installation.

2. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR

It probably also flexes because it's a cheap bath

3. Ric2013

Ric2013 Plumber

At college, we had Twyford acrylic baths to practise installing on the bathroom mock-up. They were useless, but Twyfords isn't that cheap. When I installed a new bath myself in the real world, I bought a German-made steel bath, Eurowa brand (a sub-brand of Kaldewei). It was very competitively priced, but I was really impressed with the quality, especially for the price, and I would far rather have a steel bath any day.
    In my own house, I have a bodged DIY-installed acrylic bath a previous owner fitted and it creaks too, but, although the silicone seems to fail every few years, the bath's still in use 10 years on (10 years of my ownership - the bath could be older still). My attitude is that, so long as it works and no one is paying me to replace it, it can stay as is. I wouldn't necessarily panic massively.

4. Dkdc71

Dkdc71 Member

Had a similar problem to yours but instead of calling me earlier a neighbour (his brother fitted the bathroom a qualpex expert) the brother told him to get it all tiled in place before rectifying it only thing I could do was filled bath 3/4 full and pumped silicone down sidelip of bath to the wall and sealed top edge left it overnight he said it was grand afterwards his brother fitted it was telling everyone he was an aqua engineer told him his brother should be known as a Urine extractor it suited better

• Like Like x 1
  5. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

Surprising the amount of flexing there is on a standard plastic bath.
    I must confess I installed a new bathroom suite for a landlord and for a rare occasion used silicone to glue the bath to the wall. Reason was the wall had very good original white tiling, but bath to tile joint not perfect. Worked so well that 10 years later after a tenant cracked the bath, I struggled to remove it piece by piece from the grip it had to wall. Replacement bath I also used silicone and to meet the tiles with an even joint, I tightened bath up so it touched tiles in some places and other parts it was 3mm joint. Then I used heavy cardboard to push the tight spots open to 3mm. Left it to harden and bath perfect looking job.

• Like Like x 1
  6. AWheating

AWheating Trusted Plumber GSR

Slightly jacking legs up may help. The edges of bath to wall should have slight movement capabilities. The legs take the weight but with a possible 150-250kg of water and human inside it will move very slightly.

I make a timber frame around the walls, fit bath 2-3 above this with silicone taking the gap up. This give the bath a very small scope to move without the plastic flexing to much.

Silicone to wall relies on the product taking the movement in a different mechanical way.

7. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

This is where the crystal ball comes in.

It could be fine, then again water could come through it.

If I could give you the right answer for what will happen in the future I would have the 6 numbers for Saturday nights lottery.

Anyway, you said it's only just started to creak and it was ok to begin with.
    So I would say based on that it's getting worse. How bad it will get is anyone's guess.

I would get it put right and at the same time get the bath panel modified so it is easier to remove.