Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Creaking Acrylic Bath in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. pw75

pw75 Member

I wonder if anyone in the know could give me their professional opinion.

About 14 months ago we had a complete bathroom renovation and over the last couple of months I have noticed that our bath, mainly at one end (furthest from the taps), is creaking a lot.

There have also been some small gaps that appeared with the sealant around the bath which I have resealed.

I have tried to Google this and there seems to be a mixed response with some saying creaking with this type of bath happens whereas others saying that the foundations of the bath may not have been as structurally sound when installed as they should have been.

There is no leak or movement that I can see and taking the bath panel off and looking further is a bit of a pain as it would involve taking part of the skirting board up to get one side out and the other side has had sealant put down the side from the installers so that would have to be re-done as well.

I wondered what people thought, is the creaking likely to cause an issue or is it just one of them things with an acrylic bath that we put up with?

Thank you for any responses.

2. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

Not installed correctly.

Cheap bath.

Or a combination of the two.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

It is the hidden work that customers don't appreciate a really professional plumber will do to make sure the bath will be nice and solid and no leaks ever.
    Timber support is my choice.
    The movement at top edge of bath will keep breaking the joint and possibly allowing water past it.
    Most plastic baths are thin plastic and will move if not supported by timber, or perhaps siliconed to wall when installed. Too late now really, unless you can get in at that end and have timber added.

4. pw75

pw75 Member

Thanks for the replies, the bath isn't that cheap and is much thicker and better quality than our previous version.

It never creaked until relatively recently, I am unsure what the installers did to fit it but one of the issues with our old bath was that it wasn't as secure as I felt it should have been so I stressed this to them and they showed me how much silicone they had used to secure it to the wall and make it secure.

Not sure about timber as never got to see that far.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

:D silicon to fix the bath isn't going to work

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. pw75

pw75 Member

I'm not sure that was all they were doing to fix it just that it happened that was the part they were showing me to confirm how secure they were trying to make it due to our issues with the old one.

I assume other measures were used as well but it wasn't something they went through with me.

Is the creaking an issue does anyone think? I was considering going back to the firm who did the renovation but I don't have a good relationship with them due to a range of concerns I had when they were doing the job and we are outside of our 12 month guarantee but I wondered if it was worth an email to them anyway.

7. ShaunCorbs

What's the bath panel can it be removed?

8. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR

Any pictures?
    Who supplied the bath?
    Can you remove thebatb panel and see what's happening?

9. pw75

pw75 Member

I mentioned in my post that the bath panel is a bit of a mare to take off at least for someone like me.

10. ShaunCorbs

Take a pic of the edge underneath the bath eg remove the bath panel

11. pw75

pw75 Member

The bath panel isn't really something I want to remove as I have mentioned it is blocked in one end via the skirting board and the other end it is secured via sealant so taking it off and looking under the bath isn't ideal or easy.

I would have to take the skirting board off and back on and reseal the other end of the bath panel. Obviously that would need to be done if required but am trying to avoid that myself if I can.

12. ShaunCorbs

Upto you but to do anything it's got to be removed to either alter or change things

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. pw75

pw75 Member

Ok thanks, I understand, my main question was really whether based on my description the creaking could become a big problem or not or if it was just a bit of a nuisance.

Think I will consider going back to firm that fitted it and seeing what they say. Would prefer a professional to take the panel off and reaffix than me as I'm not good at anything like that.

14. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

Sadly getting the firm back that bodged things, usually means they come back and bodge things again. :)
    But worth a try.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. pw75

pw75 Member

Yeah very true, I don't really want to pay out for someone else to do it as no doubt they will want to take the whole bath out and start again whereas the original firm might be a bit embarrassed and sort it free or at least discounted.

Obviously I can leave it as it is as it isn't terrible but it is noticeable and I'm a bit peeved that this is occurring when I don't feel it should if it was fitted properly. I also don't want it to get worse and then there be a bigger problem.