Search the forum,

Discuss cost of oftec registration in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mike_s

had one of my good customers call me today, pretty desperate as her oil boiler has broken down and she couldnt get hold of her usual oil engineer.

I do all of her gas work and landlord safety checks but all I could say was that I'm sorry I'm not qualified to work on oil boilers and I have no experience of it. I suggested she look on oftecs website for a local engineer which she was grateful of and did get someone out to it.

I have only come across 2 oil boilers in 8 years, I looked at the pricing of oftec 101 courses etc and it's looking like around £500 + registration fees.

How much is the registration and do you have to renew the quals every 5 years like the acs?

Probably not going to be worth it to me, anyone do much oil work?

I'd sooner do lpg and suggest she gets an lpg tank instead or a heat pump as I'm investing in renewables next year. She does have a large detached house probs 5 bedrooms + and says its very expensive to run on oil.

had one of my good customers call me today, pretty desperate as her oil boiler has broken down and she couldnt get hold of her usual oil engineer.

I do all of her gas work and landlord safety checks but all I could say was that I'm sorry I'm not qualified to work on oil boilers and I have no experience of it. I suggested she look on oftecs website for a local engineer which she was grateful of and did get someone out to it.

I have only come across 2 oil boilers in 8 years, I looked at the pricing of oftec 101 courses etc and it's looking like around £500 + registration fees.

How much is the registration and do you have to renew the quals every 5 years like the acs?

Probably not going to be worth it to me, anyone do much oil work?

I'd sooner do lpg and suggest she gets an lpg tank instead or a heat pump as I'm investing in renewables next year. She does have a large detached house probs 5 bedrooms + and says its very expensive to run on oil.

Mike,
I dont think swapping to LPG would be any cheaper than oil!

Yea I havn't suggested anything or put much thought into it yet, only thought of the idea because of her difficulty finding a local oil engineer and shes mentioned before she would like another way, I'll probably suggest a heat pump once I've done the courses if they're good enough to rely on as the only heat source.

I'll have to find out what her neighbours have, if they all have oil then it could be worth it to me doing my oftec.

Back of the *** packet prices:

Training, every 5 years - £800
Registration, every 5 years - £900
Presumably you have FGA, but smoke pump, spanners and a few other tools £150

cheers, can you pay monthly by direct debit like with gas safe or is it the full £900 odd up front for 5 years.
And yes got a fga which I use almost every day!

I think you can pay OFTEC annually but training will, presumably, depend on the training company.

If you go down this route and can get to Telford, you might consider Aga. Their training isn't brilliant but it means you can pick up Aga and oil stove jobs as well, as opposed to oil boilers only.

I've wanted to get Oftec registered for a long time. Even bought my smoke pump allready!

Is there anywhere in Kent that's good for training?

I've got quite a bit of experience with oil fired boilers, as I know its not yet against the law to work on them, and so I've repaired a few of my old neighbours. (I've moved recently, but previously lived on the edge of a farm where we all, myself included had oil fired boilers.

I would love to get properly trained and qualified, as it would be a real advantage where I live.

I've wanted to get Oftec registered for a long time. Even bought my smoke pump allready!

Is there anywhere in Kent that's good for training?

I've got quite a bit of experience with oil fired boilers, as I know its not yet against the law to work on them, and so I've repaired a few of my old neighbours. (I've moved recently, but previously lived on the edge of a farm where we all, myself included had oil fired boilers.

I would love to get properly trained and qualified, as it would be a real advantage where I live.

I think Trianco do some of their trining up at chatham. Not sure how far that is for you. IIRC their cost £750 including all the books. Think they only do chatham every other month

Graham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to cost of oftec registration in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
B
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper end of DIY and I've a couple of house renovations under my belt (my own homes) I am retired but do volunteer handyman jobs for the elderly. Not...
Replies
Views
B
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock