Search the forum,

Discuss Corgi homecare plan any good? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do you feel uneasy? What is your point for posting these facts?
If as your first post says you are GSR then surely you know what you are dealing with, or are you just posting to vent about a bad experience? It may have escaped your attention but CORGI is just another commercial brand name now, it has been for the past few years, it is not an official registration body anymore and the fact they have a licence to use the "brand" should give it away, so how can that be misleading the public?
I can say a lot of things about BG as I used to contract for them until they laid all their contractors off, fancy working for BG? at £18 a service (minus CIS).
You are very naive if you think that businesses such as BG, SSE , CORGI Homeplan & the AA actually employ their own engineers in every single job. I suspect that you are angry at the use of registration details and how they came into the hands of this licensee, I can understand that but the fact is that its happened and people have already signed up to the service as its cheaper than BG and they use independant installers for the work.

Paulgamston - as I said previously, I work on a contract basis for CORGI Homeplan, I have no false hopes or aspirations to become a huge partner to this firm, as I see it they provide me with work for a negotiated rate that i agreed upon, its in the contract I have with them so if they break that then fair enough, I will probably come on here and shout about it, but as I already said, its only business and I dont care if their system has no follow up checks, thats a consumer issue not a contractors issue. I provide labour and materials and a quality service.

Actually guys, I don't need to post on here defending why I'm working for them, if you are a customer that doesn't like them, fair enough you have obviously had a bad experience and nothing I say will change that. If you are an engineer who is considering working for them then you have to decide for yourself what you want to do. You may even be an engineer who feels betrayed by CORGI using registration details (how they got them no-one knows). If that's the case then blame the previous registration body who put money before loyalty to the registered gas installers they were supposed to look after.

It's all about opinions. You obviously feel it is okay to talk about the failings of BG but not for anyone to raise concerns about Corgi who are giving you work. Personally my opinion is that using the Corgi name and logo for a company doing gas work that has nothing to do with Corgi is not right. Many people trust the Corgi brand implicitly because they have had it drummed into them for years when Corgi was the regulating body. It should at least be made clear on their literature and website that they are not actually Corgi at all.

I think it is fair to ask questions about their operation and standards. I am not sure why you seem to take this personally. I make no comment on your ability as an engineer or the fact that you choose to work for Corgi that's entirely up to you.

I have just signed up and agreed fair prices for work which i may get off them, just went live yesterday, hopefully its an extra little earner in the quiet times

It's all about opinions. You obviously feel it is okay to talk about the failings of BG but not for anyone to raise concerns about Corgi who are giving you work. Exactly how do you make that assumption? When did I say BG is crap and CORGI is great?? I would say however that I'm probably qualified (if thats the word) to talk about the working practices of both seeing as I have worked under both these conditions.
Personally my opinion is that using the Corgi name and logo for a company doing gas work that has nothing to do with Corgi is not right. Many people trust the Corgi brand implicitly because they have had it drummed into them for years when Corgi was the regulating body. It should at least be made clear on their literature and website that they are not actually Corgi at all. Ok so by that basis, CORGI Insurance should not operate, CORGI Certification should not exist either, what about CORGI VAT saver???
Maybe you should look at this website? CORGI Services | Supporting Trades People

I think it is fair to ask questions about their operation and standards. I am not sure why you seem to take this personally. The reason Im taking this personally now is that you are stating opinions rather than facts, this could affect my income as a business however small a work load I receive from them.
I make no comment on your ability as an engineer or the fact that you choose to work for Corgi that's entirely up to you. This is true, but unfortunately the tones in previous posts are suggesting that CORGI and anyuone working for them are cowboys.

I think Ill just agree to disagree on this one. Its getting very tiring saying the same old thing. If you're not comfy with it, don't use them, simple as.

Last edited:
If you read Corgi's terms and conditions for HomeCare Plan it states they won't cover

" Replacement of parts for the domestic gas central heating boiler which need to be replaced as a consequence of natural wear and tear, gradual deterioration or corrosion"

When i called them about this and suggested that if anything goes wrong with my boiler then its generally down to wear and tear they had no answer - they also couldn't define what this meant and how they could tell. How else would your boiler breakdown if its not wear and tear?

I wouldn't trust them - its not even COrgi but a company called "Green Installer Ltd" they don't tell you that either when the gumpf comes through the letter box.

Do corgi have their own guys or is it all contractors?

Corgi employ engineers that dont have a clue what they are doing and they will put all problems down to sludge. They will not service your boiler in the first year, they are just very poor and although you pay them £16.99 per month for years they will not actually do anything that is remotely worth it. The customer services talk to you like you are a stupid child as well.

I do not recommend them at all

Customer service very poor. They diagnose a problem you have not got. Cost you hundreds of pounds and then say it is because you have sludge. Powerflush engineer stated that we did not have sludge, and we got another independent engineer in to look at the boiler and both cost us £500 we did not have. Both engineers stated that we did not have sludge in our system and stated that we were not covered which is breach of contract on their part. This is going further I will let you all know how we get on.

Had a proper GSR plumber try to fix a problem with my boiler! £200 later, all fixed, he said! Following day, same problem, hm maybe PCB, he says, but maybe something else!
Following day receive letter from Corgi, for £17 per month all gets sorted, even replacement boiler if they cannot fix it! Just spent £200 on a proper engineer who didn't fix it, that would have paid for my first year's insurance!

Had a proper GSR plumber try to fix a problem with my boiler! £200 later, all fixed, he said! Following day, same problem, hm maybe PCB, he says, but maybe something else!
Following day receive letter from Corgi, for £17 per month all gets sorted, even replacement boiler if they cannot fix it! Just spent £200 on a proper engineer who didn't fix it, that would have paid for my first year's insurance!
its all horses for corses

I am a Gas Safe engineer (formerly Corgi). 3 years ago I fitted a boiler in my own house and registered it with Corgi. I came home today to find a letter from Corgi offering their insurance and presumably all my customers that I fitted boilers for will have got the same letter.

It is an absolute disgrace that they are using information gathered under a mandatory registration scheme to undermine hard working people's businesses. I phoned them immediately and complained but was fobbed off by the woman who had the cheek to tell me that they were just trying to make a living like everyone else and that I could apply to be one of their network engineers!!!!!! I am absolutely furious about this. I will write and complain in the full knowledge that I will be wasting my time. Doesn't the data protection act prevent this?

it seems to me the dta they hold is now being used in a manner that is different from thr original reason for holding the data, that is illegal from memory fm when i was a data protection manager for a school. Also once the original reason for holding customer information no longer exists, ie no longer monitoring corgi registration etc, the data should be destroyed. however they could purchase customer lists fm other companies/councils so we will never wina

it seems to me the dta they hold is now being used in a manner that is different from thr original reason for holding the data, that is illegal from memory fm when i was a data protection manager for a school. Also once the original reason for holding customer information no longer exists, ie no longer monitoring corgi registration etc, the data should be destroyed. however they could purchase customer lists fm other companies/councils so we will never wina

'Fraid it don't work like that any more. DVLA, for instance, take your details for vehicle registration and sell the details to parking fine collection companies. Interestingly, they charge those companies GBP2.50p per pop. If YOU want to get YOUR details from DVLA to check they are accurate, they charge YOU GBP5.00p - work that one out.

I started taking on work from Corgi Homeplan about 6 months ago. I'm a self employed gsr engineer who wants a steady supply of work. Have to be honest, when they signed me up they didn't check anything except my gas safe registration. For all they know I'm the most incompetent engineer out there. Unfortunately for a consumer you just don't know how experienced an engineer you're getting. In terms of adding inhibitor as always it's down to the engineer. every time I've invoiced corgi for inhibitor they've paid it so no problems there.
Sludge isn't covered as previously stated. I'd imagine if it was the premium would increase substatially as there are engineers out there whom "forget" to add inhibitor in the hope a couple of years later customers will be calling for a powerflush. £££
As an engineers point of view, you're almost on 30 days payment. sometimes quicker.

Do corgi have their own guys or is it all contractors?

All Contractors, will take on boiler without pre inspection, your not cover'd for first 30 days, limit on cost of repaires for i think 90 days, and they will ask if you have proof of last service, to make sure its not an existing fault, will not cover megaflo type cylinders / taps / showers / WCs

I beg your pardon.. that was an extremely moronic comment! Corgi's engineers are made up of a mixture of the UKs qualified heating engineers who are independent! So that's like saying "I had a bad experience with a Dr so every Dr in the NHS is incompetent! Most of UKs Dr's work in the NHS!!!!!!!!
Before you start slagging companies off don't be so ignorant before typing it really makes you look uneducated and ignorant.

I beg your pardon.. that was an extremely moronic comment! Corgi's engineers are made up of a mixture of the UKs qualified heating engineers who are independent! So that's like saying "I had a bad experience with a Dr so every Dr in the NHS is incompetent! Most of UKs Dr's work in the NHS!!!!!!!!
Before you start slagging companies off don't be so ignorant before typing it really makes you look uneducated and ignorant.

bit late to comment on a 2 year old thread, so who looks ignorant and silly now?

Can you remind me which name you used last time to promote corgi homecare, it wasn`t that long ago, maybe a week? Thanks in advance.

Corgi employ engineers that dont have a clue what they are doing and they will put all problems down to sludge. They will not service your boiler in the first year, they are just very poor and although you pay them £16.99 per month for years they will not actually do anything that is remotely worth it. The customer services talk to you like you are a stupid child as well.

I do not recommend them at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Corgi homecare plan any good? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock