Search the forum,

Discuss Copper pipe joining in the UK in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

F Murtz

I am in Australia and have been having a discussion in a usenet group about soldering pipe. I have been assuming that Australia and UK would be similar.I have a son who is a plumber and he says that In Australia silver solder is specified in new buildings (units, flats,domestic complexes, high rises, industrial) for copper pipe (mostly 5% sometimes 2% And is used by most plumbers in other places.
In this discussion in the UK usenet group I have been told plumbers in the UK don't use silver solder (copper silver phosphor alloy) just soft solder,which I find hard to believe.

Do British plumbers use silver solder (copper silver phosphor alloy)for joining copper pipe in the uk or are they stuck with the old fashioned methods . May be joints are not soldered as much in the UK and you use quickfit substitutes but if they are soldered what do you use?
What is specified on new jobs?

Now't wrong with soft soldering. There's obviously circumstances where we need to silver solder but those are few and far between.

Guess that's the difference between being trained to do it properly and not..........

Nowt wrong with soft solder. Silver solder is a bit of overkill. Leaves the pipes in a mess as well.

Theres always good old plastic :)

I know the water is hugely different in Australia, so much so that the Brass has to be Dezincification stuff

So what you're saying is they haven't got real water down under? Just some unnatural wet stuff with all the MAN stuff taken out?

And they call us poofters!

So what you're saying is they haven't got real water down under? Just some unnatural wet stuff with all the MAN stuff taken out?

And they call us poofters!

Think about it John.......they even refer to thier watery lager as "p**s"..........cant be a good sign can it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Copper pipe joining in the UK in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Short version: I have about 4" of pipe sticking out of a concrete floor in a cupboard. It makes a 45-degree bend as it exists (bent, not with elbows), the last cm before the open end is pretty much straight, but as a result of the bend it is not perfectly round. I mean it is pretty much...
Replies
Views
I'm currently refurbishing a room. Plumber has been in for first fix to lay new pipework for new radiators. He's laid fresh copper pipe, however around the joints they are all green which I believe is flux residue he hasn't cleaned up after soldering. Not the cleanest of jobs but I'm not too...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I have a question that I’m hoping those of you who are experienced central heating engineers may be abler to throw some light on. But first I need to tell you about my system, and the problem I’ve been having. Just over 7years ago I had a new CH system installed in my small semi. I say new – in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I'm new to this forum. Please go easy on me👷🏼 I'm currently renovating my house and my house currently runs from old lead pipes then soldered in to 15mm copper pipe. I want to replace the whole piping in the house from to bottom. My question is shall I run 22mm copper pipe then...
Replies
Views
I have read a few threads including one by Debbie Stano that were similar to my issue but that thread stopped a while back without any resolution I could see. I'm in Brisbane, Australia but I'm after general ideas from anyone here or in UK (I realise this is a UK based site). Point form...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock