Search the forum,

Discuss Copper pipe in screed, unprotected in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

gingalig

Gas Engineer
Hi , I have just been asked to cap off a redundant supply to a no longer in use fire, I have spoken the customer on the phone and he tells me he has exposed some of the pipe work under the screed when removing the fire place, I asked if the pipework was protected or sheathed and what else it feeds, he tells me as far as he is aware that no it's not protected and feeds a boiler in the next room and that it's been there for 25 yrs. My question is, as this potentially doesnt follow IGEM standards ( i've not actually seen it yet) Am I in the position of having to AR the pipework installation once I attend, if there is actually no protection on the pipework. Thoughts and comments greatly appriciated as always.

Tt it first

If it's got a leak outside acceptable drop then you need to go further

If it's tight it's ncs

Hi , I have just been asked to cap off a redundant supply to a no longer in use fire, I have spoken the customer on the phone and he tells me he has exposed some of the pipe work under the screed when removing the fire place, I asked if the pipework was protected or sheathed and what else it feeds, he tells me as far as he is aware that no it's not protected and feeds a boiler in the next room and that it's been there for 25 yrs. My question is, as this potentially doesnt follow IGEM standards ( i've not actually seen it yet) Am I in the position of having to AR the pipework installation once I attend, if there is actually no protection on the pipework. Thoughts and comments greatly appriciated as always.

You don't have to do anything.
I have seen miles of unprotected copper and never seen it leak. It just makes it hard to clean it if you need to solder onto it :)

If you are uncomfortable, note it on the paperwork.
for Gods sake DO NOT AR.

You don't have to do anything.
I have seen miles of unprotected copper and never seen it leak. It just makes it hard to clean it if you need to solder onto it :)

If you are uncomfortable, note it on the paperwork.
for Gods sake DO NOT AR.

It's not so much uncomfortable just fairly new to the game ( not that it shows, I'm sure :) ) trying to gain some knowledge and experience from those kind enough share thier own experience and that have been at it for a while, I've had look now, it's not protected/sheethed my next issue is that the back knuckle joint connected to the pedastal valve is buried in some pretty tough looking screed as is the pipe work, I'm thinking that Im going to have to remove the screed enough to get a 22 pipe slice and cut out the un-required T, clean it up as best I can, put in a new bit of pipe and some end feed slip couplings, It looks like a right pain in the posterier, after I have TT, I was then planning on wrapping the work that I do in Denso tape. I will make a note of it on the paperwork.

Tape your work with pvc tape, if there's signs of corrosion on the existing then it's at risk. Most copper pipes are fine in walls and floors unless there's moisture then they corrod away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Copper pipe in screed, unprotected in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock