1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

2. WARNING! We do NOT provide advice related to Gas or other fuels to people who are not currently an official registered Heating Engineer. Do NOT ask for advice related to boiler repairs or installs. You need to find a heating engineer instead.

Either seeking or providing advice on UKPlumbersForums.co.uk may result in your account being suspended or removed. These rules are in place to prevent deaths, which can easily occur from messing with heating systems when you're not qualified to do so.

Dismiss Notice

Couple of important things to note. 1. We use Cookies, deal with it. Every website does. 2. Nobody but a currently-registered Gas Engineer should be touching gas or gas appliances. Don't mess with gas at all. 

Discuss Convection Stoves/ Radiant Stoves in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. BrassNut

BrassNut New Member

Hi all,
    I have a large radiant stove fire in my front room. It's a large sitting room/ diner room.
    The thing is, it takes what seems like ages to heat up the room using the stove.
    We use that supertherm coal taht's specially made for stoves.

My friend says I've installed the wrong stove as the room is far too big for a radiant stove and that I should have used a convection model.

Has anyone installed a convection fire and are you happy with it?
    Does it heat the room up quicker than a radiant stove?

2. BrassNut

BrassNut New Member

Found a good article on it online.
    https://www.greasemonkeydirect.com/...erence-between-a-radiant-and-convection-stove

It turns out that radiant is more like a traditional fire - providing a central heatsource. The stove unit gets very hot and emits heat itself. A bit like a traditional fire.
    The convection model sucks in cold air, and circulates it as warm air. The stove itself doesnt get as hot as it's heating the air and not the panels of the stove.

As for which is better for a large room - I can't see that one is correct and the other the wrong choice. But good to know there are two different systems out there.