Search the forum,

Discuss Constant Dripping Condensate Query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

plumbingvirgin

The condensate on my boiler is dripping constantly (even though it has a syphon trap) - I am trying to address this problem but need advice on a couple of things to try and pin-point exactly what the problem is.

Question #One - the area where it is dripping has gone green/yucky algae. I thought condensate was acidic so unlikely that algae would grow - is this correct? So what is dripping out of here? (There is only the condensate pipe in this area.)

Question #Two - I firmly believe that the constant dripping is causing me to lose pressure (for reasons still to be resolved). Would this also lead to a build-up of air in my rads?

Question #Three - the boiler is 2 months out of guarantee - if a part needs replacing and I get the manufacter in are they going to be sympathetic, or laugh and charge full wack? Any experience of this?

Many thanks

i don't think the condensate will cause your pressure to drop, if the pressure is dropping in the system its either a leak or the expansion vessel, so there may well be a leak inside the boiler itself.

switch off ur boiler and take off the casing and look for any leaks if you can.

Obviously you should only remove the boiler casing if you are gsr.

Are you sure it's the condense dripping, is the pipe dripping copper or plastic?

If it's copper, it will be your prv passing and your expansion vessel will need attention, this will cause your pressure to drop.

If the pipe dripping is in plastic, it is your condense pipe. This could well be your main heat exchanger has an internal leak and discharging out of the condense, again this will cause your pressure to drop.

I'll be careful!

It is the plastic pipe, not copper.
I would be interested to hear views/comments on any of my three questions.

Thanks

well i'm with washer on it being an internal leak in the heat exchanger or something, but obviously you need to get someone who is gsr to fix it.

Is this a b rated boiler with the 2nd condensing heat exchanger?. If so there may be corrosion on this heat ex leaking into the condensate trap and causing constant drops and dropping pressure.

Have found this on several b rated boilers. I suppose this could also be a problem on an a rated boiler but have not come across it.

Is this a b rated boiler with the 2nd condensing heat exchanger?. If so there may be corrosion on this heat ex leaking into the condensate trap and causing constant drops and dropping pressure.

Have found this on several b rated boilers. I suppose this could also be a problem on an a rated boiler but have not come across it.

aren't the heat exchangers made of stainless steel etc to prevent corrosion ?

aren't the heat exchangers made of stainless steel etc to prevent corrosion ?

No a lot are aluminium and if there are any impurities that get in there in either manufacture or from the system then they can corrode quite rapidly.

I fitted Alpha about 18 months ago and the heat ex went within 12 months, despite a powerflush of the system when it was fitted. Alpha did replace under guarantee.

Many thanks for the inputs so far. Any takers for my specific questions?
Thanks

Are you sure its the condense pipe and not an overflow pipe as the condense shouldnt just stick out the wall and drip

Question #One - the area where it is dripping has gone green/yucky algae. I thought condensate was acidic so unlikely that algae would grow - is this correct? So what is dripping out of here? (There is only the condensate pipe in this area.)
you shouldn't be able to see the condensate dripping as it should be connected into waste.

Question #Two - I firmly believe that the constant dripping is causing me to lose pressure (for reasons still to be resolved). Would this also lead to a build-up of air in my rads?
you lose pressure when there is either a leak or the expansion vessel needs fixed, the condensate has nothing to do with the system pressure.
Question #Three - the boiler is 2 months out of guarantee - if a part needs replacing and I get the manufacter in are they going to be sympathetic, or laugh and charge full wack? Any experience of this?
if you mean your warranty is finished, then yes you will need to pay the full price.
get a local heating engineer in to replace any parts will be cheaper.

Many thanks

hope that helps

pictures needed of the dripping pipe, as said it sounds more like a prv pipe.

Softened water eats aliminium for fun.

I would call in the manufacturers.

They should be sympathetic, as if it is the heat exchanger. it shouldnt fail this early. But they could fob you off with your system water causing the problem.

Or you could call one of the companies offering a fixed price deal.

No idea why theres green stuff on your condense pipe, bet Richard Attenborough knows.

Last edited by a moderator:
done a little bit of research and it seems the algae that you speak of thrives off of sulphur, which is in the condensate waste water.

But what I don't understand and I'm sure most people are the same is that why your able to see your condensate dripping, it should be terminated into the waste pipe or a suitable soakaway. if it is a plastic pipe then it can't be the prv, but it can also be an overflow pipe or warning pipe. Need to know more details.

Thanks for the replies guys and gals.
The pipe in question is plastic, comes out of the back of the boiler, runs through the external wall into a soil drain handily available just outside the kitchen wall and drips all the time the heating is on.
By my calculations approx one pint of water is coming out of this pipe every 12 hours or so.
The pipe has not frozen up in this bad weather.

The boiler is a Worcester Bosch 30cdi.

Could possibly be the main gas to water heat exchanger leaking internally. How often are you having to put pressure up?

If it 2 months out of warranty manufacturer would possibly do work as a good will gesture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Constant Dripping Condensate Query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock