1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Dismiss Notice

Couple of important things to note. 1. We use Cookies, deal with it. Every website does. 2. Nobody but a currently-registered Gas Engineer should be touching gas or gas appliances. Don't mess with gas at all. 

Discuss connecting old copper pipes in the Fittings & Pipes area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

  1. babbster

    babbster New Member

    i have recently had to fix a leak on a section of old copper pipe. the pipe is slightly bigger than 22mm and is thick enough to have had a thread put on it. any ideas how to replace a section with 22mm copper?
    there has been mention of a transitional coupling, however this a DHW pipe
  2. Gasmk1

    Gasmk1 GSR

    it is probaly 3/4" copper you can get 3/4 to 22 soldered
  3. ShaunCorbs

    ShaunCorbs Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

    3/4 copper is smaller than 22mm not bigger
  4. Last Plumber

    Last Plumber Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

    It might be the really really old stuff before 3/4
    It was more like 1/2" iron for size O.D.

    Last time I dealt with it I think I soldered or brazed a female iron to copper on the end of it.
    If it is that stuff ( and it sounds like it ) you won't find a manufactured fitting for it.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Last Plumber

    Last Plumber Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

    Measure O D and post the size.

    Can you not replace it all ?
  6. Ray Stafford

    Ray Stafford Well-Known Member

    Use a drift or socket former to create a socket in the end of the old pipe, and then solder 22mm pipe into it.
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  7. Chalked

    Chalked Plumber GSR

    A drift won't work Ray. It sounds like screwed copper, it it slightly larger than 22mm. Normally found in old high end houses. Nobody makes a transition fitting, and the threads are " fine taper" so BSP is nowhere near. The copper is as thick as galvanised pipe, so great for scrap.
    The times I have connected to it, we used a 1"BSP male to 22 mm compression fitting. The 1" thread will slide over the pipe and either solder it using leaded solder ( I know!!) or better still hard solder or braze. Then you have a 22mm compression end to go off.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. chris watkins

    chris watkins Plumber

    There speaks a proper plumber. IMHO

    Problem what problem !

    With his skills & knowledge he can adapt, repair, overcome & only if absolutely necessary replace to fix the problem.
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Ray Stafford

    Ray Stafford Well-Known Member

    Every day's a school day! I don't think I have ever seen that type of pipe.
  10. Gasmk1

    Gasmk1 GSR

    i have never come across that size or type of copper before must be from the 40's or 50's ?
  11. Chalked

    Chalked Plumber GSR

    This is the only image I can find on google. This pipe is brass, but it's the same for copper and they have brass fittings.
  12. babbster

    babbster New Member

    Thank you
    will give it a try tomorrow, exactly as you said, old high end house
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Masood

    Masood Guest

    Came across this pipe in the Leicestershire area (if it's the same stuff). Heavy gauge copper, screwed. It's called 20-gauge and you can buy compression and end-feed transition couplings for it. The end-feed couplings are brass and cost a fortune but it means you can convert to 15mm or 22mm and weigh in the old stuff...