Search the forum,

Discuss Connecting elbow to a Radiator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kc1

I need to fit an elbow to the end of a radiator... (no valve needed, the valve is on a manifold)

Simple but untidy option:
use 1/2"M to 15mm coupler, then a short bit of pipe to a 15mm to 15mm elbow

A possibly better option would be to screw a 1/2"M to 15mm elbow straight into the radiator - however in order to get the alignment of the elbow correct, then invariably the elbow won't be fully screwed in tightly.

Is it wise to have the 1/2" connection not fully tightened? Any better suggestions?

Kevin

Firstly, - why not still use a rad valve? Straight or angled? Handy if the rad is ever needed off or it, say, leaked, for easy isolation at rad.
I know what you mean by using a male straight, as it fully tightens. You could use chrome male st & then a bit of chromed pipe as you said, or use a chrome rad valve tail if joining with a compression fitting, or you can get the longer chrome rad valve tail if any use (solid type, not the extendable with an O ring rubbish).
If you tried screwing a chrome male bend into the rad without ptfe, you will see where it near tightens, but it will seal okay if it is in most of threads & well jointed. Use paste + ptfe.
Small chrome rad valves that are basically just an elbow, do exist. They are a tail & a bent valve that has a slotted screw in it for turning it off or balancing.

Last edited:
Just fit a rad valve tail, then a chrome comp elbow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Or you could get a tapered bsp street elbow. You'll still have to use a male iron but it will do the job

But IMO I would fit the valves.
Not just for ease of maintenance. But where is the trv. Or do you have a stat and actuator on the manifold?

I suppose I could be persuaded to go with lockshield valves instead - they will probably work out no more expensive than a radiator tail + elbow (possibly cheaper!) - However unless I buy expensive full flow ones they will probably constrict the flow a bit - but this may not really be an issue.

The radiator tail with an elbow sounds like a good solution, but from an initial look round i can only find the nasty extendable ones readily available. Who sells radiator tails on their own without valves?

Yes, there will be no TRVs, the manifold will have actuators + thermostats.

just buy some lockshield valves, most dont ristrict the flow when fully open unlike most trv valves. If you dont use them you can rob the tails and use and elbow. Dont think ive see tails on sale alone before.

Dont think ive see tails on sale alone before.

Nor me. And even if they were, they would probably be more expensive than buying a valve and only using the tail.

It would probably be easy to get one from a scrappie - most plumbers wouldn't bother to remove the tail before throwing the rad away, but its only a couple of quid to buy a shiny new one.

Ask Ray Stafford about the tails, he may be able to help.

You can buy the longer tails (exact same as standard tails only longer). They are Myson tails & oddly come with a chrome nut & olive. They cost 3 or 4 quid each, which is probably a rip off, but they are handy when you need them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Connecting elbow to a Radiator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock