Search the forum,

Discuss Connecing side entry fill valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DudleySmith

Hi there, plumbing newbie here. I'm trying to replace a malfunctioning fill valve, and I've hit a bit of a problem, and wanted some thoughts from the experts here as to how to proceed.

I've replaced the old valve assembly with a Fluidmaster 747UK side entry fill valve. The old valve assembly had smaller diameter pipe, but the 0.5 inch connector in my new one would fit perfectly into the existing tap connector if it was only an inch longer. The installing plumber had used some kind of reducing compression fit connector to get the extra length. Does a connector exist that I could use? A female tap 0.5" connector one on end, and a 0.5" male tap connector on the other end. There's quite a lot of play in the intake pipe (alas there's a inset so it would have to go round a corner into an inset bit of the cistern) so a bit of flexible pipe would probably work if it was flexible enough to bend completely around. Or is there a combination of 2-3 other parts that will do the right thing?

If the cognoscenti can confirm this part doesn't exist, there's a plan B: After the isolation valve there is a bit of a straight run of (I guess 15mm) copper pipe, a solder ring corner piece before the tap connector. I could cut the straight bit of pipe and put something like a 5mm x 0.5" flexible tap connector (Apologies: I'd link to screwfix or wickes here, but my new thread is rejected if I put links in this post) in there. That seems within my meagre abilities. Am I on the right track?

You can use a 1/2 bsp female to 15 mm compression fitting and don't use the nut and olive.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 36
If you are going to buy something for the job, buy a proper 1/2" tap extension. It's basically the same as Chalked has said above, but the male part has a flat face, which will make a better seal on the washer in the service valve.

If you are going to buy something for the job, buy a proper 1/2" tap extension. It's basically the same as Chalked has said above, but the male part has a flat face, which will make a better seal on the washer in the service valve.

Very true mate. They also come with a washer. I tend to use the FI x 15, as they are already on the van ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Connecing side entry fill valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock