Discuss Condensate pipe not running into drain? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi - wondered if anyone can help.

I asked my (upstairs)neighbours to fix what I think is the condensate pipe from their boiler which was cracked and leaking water down the side of my flat. It froze (pic 1) and they decided to fix it, but have replaced it with a pipe that comes horizontally from the building and is not feeding into any drain. Presumably that means I am going to get more water on my property...
Can anyone advise whether a) that is the condensate pipe and b) whether they can just leave it like that or should it be fed into a drain?

Thanks

Pipe 1.jpg

pipe 2.jpg

Yes that is the condensate pipe and it is all wrong. It has to be run in 32mm pipe externally, terminate into a suitable drain or soak away and be insulated in a water proof lagging. As it is now it will drip slightly acidic water all over whatever's below and is not allowed.

Thanks, so if he were to leave it, is it likely to be a lot of water that will come out? Also just to be certain there's definitely nothing else it could be (it couldn't be an overflow in the wrong material for eg? ) I only ask as the owner is (supposedly) himself a gas engineer so I need to be 100% sure before I challenge him! Thanks again

I could not be 100% sure it is the condensate without checking for myself. But given the fact that the boiler flue terminal and blow off are both in the same area I am almost positive that it is the condensate pipe. He has probably done this as a quick emergency temporary fix to get his heating back on. As the boiler had most likley locked out due to the blocked frozen condensate pipe. If he is a GSR engineer he will know how it is done properly and hopefully rectify it as soon as he can. Give him till the weekend to see if he sorts it out if he doesn't then ask him to.

Not a lot of water but some and chances are they "fixed" it because the pipe had frozen and stopped the boiler from working not because you asked. Size and position indicate it's condensate, most other waste outlet would be larger plus it's directly below and within a few feet of the boilers flue. Is the land it's leaking onto yours? I'd approach by asking if he's going to eventually connect the condensate to the soil stack as there is a connection there already, not much you can do to make him change it as he probably writes his own landord's certificate.

You could always say you are concerned about it and are going to contact gas safe

Building Control, Gas Safe and another one is Environmental Health.

Not a lot of water but some and chances are they "fixed" it because the pipe had frozen and stopped the boiler from working not because you asked. Size and position indicate it's condensate, most other waste outlet would be larger plus it's directly below and within a few feet of the boilers flue. Is the land it's leaking onto yours? I'd approach by asking if he's going to eventually connect the condensate to the soil stack as there is a connection there already, not much you can do to make him change it as he probably writes his own landord's certificate.
Thanks, yes it's my land it's leaking onto :mad:. If it continues to drip would that prove that it is the condensate?

Not necessarily but we are all sure it's a condensate pipe because of it's proximity to the boiler flue and because it was plumbed into the soil stack. If it was an overflow from say a toilet it could be left sticking out the wall but still be leaking. Contact your council's building control if he fails to comply, it could as mentioned just be an emergency fix to get the boiler going until the cold weather passes. Bear in mind condensate is far less acidic than Cola so won't really be doing a lot of harm but we appreciate it's an inconvenience and unsightly.

Last edited:
I could not be 100% sure it is the condensate without checking for myself. But given the fact that the boiler flue terminal and blow off are both in the same area I am almost positive that it is the condensate pipe. He has probably done this as a quick emergency temporary fix to get his heating back on. As the boiler had most likley locked out due to the blocked frozen condensate pipe. If he is a GSR engineer he will know how it is done properly and hopefully rectify it as soon as he can. Give him till the weekend to see if he sorts it out if he doesn't then ask him to.
Good idea, thank you.
Not necessarily but we are all sure it's a condensate pipe because of it's proximity to the boiler flue and because it was plumbed into the soil stack. If it was an overflow from say a toilet it could be left sticking out the wall but still be leaking. Contact your council's building control if he fails to comply, it could as mentioned just be an emergency fix to get the boiler going until the cold weather passes. Bear in mind condensate is far less acidic than Cola so won't really be doing a lot of harm but we appreciate it's an inconvenience and unsightly.

Many thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Condensate pipe not running into drain? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back