Search the forum,

Discuss Condensate filter on a rather long run in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all
Just to ask. My installer has to run the condensate pipe about 5mtr to a drain. As the boiler is going to be situated in a garage my understanding is that is classed as external if it’s in the garage. I saw somewhere that 3 meters is about max and it's only .5 metes inside the garage the rest is outside (4,5). I’m worried about freezing up in the winter due to the length of the run. As an alternative is it possible to put a condensate filter on the pipe and simply let it exit the garage into the path? It will have a ph of about 8ish so in theory it will be no more acidic than tap water?
Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks
Ps a pump isn’t really an option

I'm not actually sure what the regs say about neutralisers but I'd say no simply because it is a temporary solution in that the filter has a finite lifespan and is therefore reliant on you replacing it.

It's a non go just discharging it even with a "filter"

I'm not actually sure what the regs say about neutralisers but I'd say no simply because it is a temporary solution in that the filter has a finite lifespan and is therefore reliant on you replacing it.
Yeah, my understanding was that as long as it's part of the annual serivce the filter is replaced?

If you can find that documented somewhere I'd like to see it and that's if you actually get it serviced yearly which is not actually compulsory, go with the oversized pipe run to be safe.

If you can find that documented somewhere I'd like to see it and that's if you actually get it serviced yearly which is not actually compulsory, go with the oversized pipe run to be safe.

This make any sense?

"If neutralisation is required, there are also fully integrated units available for boilers of 10 kW to 1MW. These include neutralising pellets within the tank, which can be changed during annual servicing"

Practise safe condensate handling - Modern Building Services

That's if you use a condensate pump...

"In most installations condensate can be removed through the normal gravity drain in conjunction with the boiler manufacturer’s instructions. However, if a boiler has to be installed on internal walls or within basements the use of a boiler condensate tank pump or soak away can be the only solution for the installer."

...which will also include the properly designed and installed outlets. It seems to me these neutralisation devices are to be used in conjunction with proper disposal to prevent condensate entering the system so no you can't use one and having it emptying onto a path for the reasons given above.

I heard of an accident a good few years back, where an elderly lady slipped on a frozen puddle of ice on the concrete path, from a condensate pipe. The plumber terminated there and not into a drain or soakaway.
The lady’s face was apparently a mess and broke her arm and hip. Her family were seething and taking the plumber to court.

Reply to Condensate filter on a rather long run in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock