Search the forum,

Discuss Complete newbie, valves. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all, completely new here and to plumbing. I moved out had a washing machine delivery today including installation, but the guy said that the valve under my sink was missing a handle and that I should get it replaced before getting the washing machine installed. He also mentioned that i needed to call a plumber rather than do it myself.

So I researched valves on google and youtube and they seemed fairly easy to replace. However I have a few questions after taking a look at mine. Please have a look at the pictures.

Of the 3 valves it is the one on the very right that the guy said that the handle was missing.

My questions are:

1) Is this a compression valve? Or is it soldered? How do I tell? Its got a big bolt around it so im guessing its compression.
2) Why is there no pipe protruding from the top of it? I dont understand the water seems to flow to this valve and then no where.... Does it flow into the white box thing maybe on the right of it? Its a bit tight there so I cant see.
3) So i can see that the nob is missing, can I just go B&Q and buy one and replace this one? Are they all the same size?
4)What do these 3 pipes relate to? Sink, washing machine and...?
5)Or is this something I need to call a plumber for?

Thanks!
Ron

DSC_0646.JPG

DSC_0647.JPG

DSC_0643.JPG

DSC_0644.JPG

DSC_0645.JPG

It's a compression washing machine valve

Do you have any tools?
You say it seems easy to change but the questions you ask make me think it's something you are going to struggle with

Last edited:
It's a compression washing machine valve

Do you have any tools?
You say it seems easy to change but the questions you ask make me think it's something you are going to struggle with

Thanks. Yep i have literally never touched a pipe nor looked under a sink lol.

I don't but theres a B&Q right next to me so shouldn't be a problem. In the videos are watched all i need is a wrench no?

So all i need to buy is that, unscrew and rescrew right?

And its normal to not have a pipe above? Or is this where you plug the washing machine tube? I have installation included in the washing machine so they'll do that part. I just need to fix this.

Thanks!

Buy one of the following:
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/washing-machine-valve-without-check-valve-15mm-x/51231
Undo the little screw that holds the handle on, screw the handle onto your valve under your sink.
Phone the washing machine installers up.

You would need a pair of grips and an adjustable spanner
Washing machine valve
Some jointing compound
(Best case scenario)

Do you know how to shut off the water

Will the installation company come back?

Buy one of the following:
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/washing-machine-valve-without-check-valve-15mm-x/51231
Undo the little screw that holds the handle on, screw the handle onto your valve under your sink.
Phone the washing machine installers up.

Oh wow thats genius I shall do that! Thanks :)

You would need a pair of grips and an adjustable spanner
Washing machine valve
Some jointing compound
(Best case scenario)

Do you know how to shut off the water

Will the installation company come back?

I havent checked but there should be some kind of on off in the cylinder room right?

Yep the installation people will come back.

And i think ill just buy a new handle as the prev poster suggested.

Thanks everyone!

Reply to Complete newbie, valves. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock